Purchased for $3.4 million in the first quarter of last year, the former Lion Pub building on the southeast corner of Divisadero and Sacramento has been completely remodeled, with high-end appliances and finishes across its top two floors – which are now configured as a single four-bedroom unit versus two full-floor flats as purchased and permitted – and a new “au pair suite” below.

The former Lion Pub on the ground floor has been gutted and is now configured as an “architects office” (which is technically a “Professional Service” and not permitted for general office use).

And with the new office space also being marketed as a “Future Family & Media Room,” 2060 Divisadero is now back on the market with a $5.995 million price tag.

1. Posted by Sierrajeff

Ack, those kitchen lights are terrible. All I can picture is glare and dust…

And no walk-in closet for the master? I’d think a nice walk-in plus a larger bathroom (and maybe an office nook) would be far more value-add than a 4th bedroom.

• Posted by Tipster

Not to mention Bedroom 3 is on Divis, which is a busy street and not at all quiet. The whole redo netted two small useable bedrooms.

• Posted by john downey

Not sure if you have heard of “insulated glass”, which cuts street borne dB down significantly. Anyone buying in the center of an urban modern City, will likely be and should accept a little city hum, IMHO.

People on this site like to whine and nitpick about many things.

• Posted by James Cox

Yes, living within a urban city, there is street & neighborhood noise to be sure. But suggesting noise can be alleviated by keeping hermetically sealed in a bedroom behind multi-pane windows sounds dreadful. Such occupant probably never opens the window coverings either, living within a dark, stagnant room.

• Posted by Tipster

Insulated glass insulates heat, not noise. There is a slight reduction, but it ain’t much.

2. Posted by Torger Cobus

I wonder how they did the unit merge. Every Time we’ve spoken to Planning about it, the answer is “No way.” Even at the high, “non-affordable” level. Does someone know something we don’t?

• Posted by SocketSite

While a “renovation of [the existing apartments] on the 2nd and 3rd floor” was permitted, there’s no record of a dwelling unit merger being requested (or approved).

• Posted by Notcom

Or perhaps someone knows someONE you don’t.

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

Maybe the “au pair suite” is the second unit that will never be rented? Do they have to keep the space allocation between the two units the same, or is it sufficient that the same property has two units?

• Posted by observant neighbor

You can’t reduce unit size by more than 25% w/o a permit for dwelling unit merger. Presumably some of the work that was done on this building did not comport with the issued permits.

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

Good to know! If each of the units was previously a full floor, it does not seem as if that “au pair suite” is 75% of the size of one of the prior units, unless there is something terribly wrong with the scale of those plans.

Maybe they reduced it by 25% four times in succession?

3. Posted by Metroliner

*yawn* What a joke. More sterile San Francisco.

4. Posted by Corky Kubbock

I love that bathroom floor! But no under the sink storage and no medicine cabinets?

• Posted by SFMichael

Those mirrors may open and have medicine cabinets behind them. But what is it with this trend to have bathroom sinks with nowhere to put a toothbrush, razor, shaving cream, and what not?

• Posted by Neighborhood Activist

They’re hoping for tech money, I suppose, from someone not experienced enough with real estate to realize that a beautiful, minimalist bathroom with no storage or counter space is completely impractical and nearly unusable. Pedestal sinks are for powder rooms, at most. I always snicker when I see them in full bathrooms.

• Posted by Jack

Not even electric sockets for the toothbrushes it seems. Was this remodel even inspected?

5. Posted by Drew

What a waste of space — the rich are truly ruining this town. 🙁

6. Posted by Amewsed

The bathroom wall has the same tile I used for my kitchen back splash (easier to match cabinets and quartz countertops.) They are Italian tile but now I feel so exposed. Seriously, I liked them for my kitchen, not in the bath so much. To each his/her own.

7. Posted by jose

Basically if you buy this you can use the ground floor as a professional office and as long as you don’t go for any more permits you will avoid the obvious issue of the previous owner creating a tiny new dwelling unit at the ground floor without benefit of Planning review. From the permit website: “CHANGE OF USE OF GROUND FLOOR BAR TO OFFICE. NO CONSTRUCTION UNDER THIS PERMIT, NO CHANGE UPPER UNITS.” Everything was OTC and no exterior changes. ha.

8. Posted by Really?

I just miss the pub….

• Posted by charlie in sf

Me too. I remember going there on Wednesdays when I was in college. They put out a great buffet.

• Posted by BernalDweller

Me three. In my twenties I was a regular on the sweater circuit…the Alta Plaza, the piano bar a couple doors down from there on Fillmore (forget the name right now) and the Lion. Great times.

9. Posted by unbelievable

You gotta have big ones to pay $3.4, do all that work, make all those bogus representations to the City, and then turn around and put the whole cabootal back on the market for $6.

10. Posted by Neighborhood Activist

The conversion of two “small family” sized units to one giant unit and a tiny “au pair room” is obscene. Somebody who lives nearby should really file an enforcement complaint with Planning.

• Posted by MarinaBoy

How are you considering this a giant one unit? It has an au pair unit, even though that is small, it’s potentially perfect for a singl student or a graduate looking to start out in the city. My two story flat is almost 3,000 square feet for two people and two dogs and I don’t consider that giant or obscene at all.

11. Posted by Can't Think of Cool Name

Any idea what that weird rectangular space is wedged between the Aupair Suite And Garage 1? The suite has a window looking into it and there’s a door in the garage leading to it, but it looks like an enclosed well – with a roof (the deck above it).

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

Also, how do you get your car out of Garage 2?

• Posted by anon2.5

I think the drawing is incorrect as you can see two garage doors in the photo.

12. Posted by anon2.5

How is the au pair suite a legal unit if it doesn’t have a window?

• Posted by Neighborhood Activist

Good question. Can’t have a sleeping room without a window, and it needs to open onto someplace accessible to rescuers, too, I think.

• Posted by Alai

Perhaps the areas under the deck are technically considered outdoor space?

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

There is a window into the weird pit area between it and the garage. Which we have now figured out what it is for, I guess: to make that bedroom a bedroom. One assumes there will be a hole in the deck, or perhaps a skylight, although that seems like cheating.

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

There is indeed a hole in the deck, making this a real airshaft. You can see it on the “3D tour” on the broker web site.

• Posted by Monster in the Mission

The video also establishes that the au pair suite is effing tiny and useless. I would be embarrassed to put my live-in help in this space, and I can’t afford live-in help.

13. Posted by Curious in Pacific Heights

Is there an update on the Code Violations for this property?