3420 18th Street Site

Plans to demolish the All Muffler auto shop and construct a five-story building with 16 condos over a garage for 8 cars and a ground floor retail space on the corner of 18th and San Carlos are close to becoming a reality.

As designed by Sternberg Benjamin Architects, the 3420 18th Street development would reach a height of 55 feet with a 2,000 square foot rooftop terrace.

3420 18th Street Design: 18th Street Elevation

The terrace would serve as the primary open space for the building versus a rear year as required by code and for which a variance has been requested.  A variance for the proposed entrance to the garage along Carlos has also been requested as it is only 23.75 feet from the 18th Street façade while a minimum of 25 feet is required.

3420 18th Street Design: Carlos Street Elevation

San Francisco’s Zoning Administrator is slated to either approved or deny the two variances for the Mission District development to rise next week.

1. Posted by seriously

I must be psychic because I knew what they’d look like before I even clicked to see the pictures!

Joking aside- I’m just glad for more housing, even if it isn’t the fanciest.

• Posted by Serge

Ditto. The image in my mind was even higher detail than the sketch.

2. Posted by Sierrajeff

What’s the giant blue blob in the first rendering? (There’s not *that* much pot smoke in the Mission.)

• Posted by Futurist

It’s called a revision cloud. what architects show on contract documents to indicate changes from previous iterations of a particular drawing.

• Posted by Sierrajeff

OK. Curious why it sweeps in the entryway of the adjacent building, but immaterial in the end, I suppose.

• Posted by Futurist

The revision cloud “sweeps” the entry of the adjacent building (as you say) because the revision cloud must include all the words, notations and dimensions that relate to the changes. It’s a legal thing as well as a communication thing.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Change bars for renderings in other words. thanks.

3. Posted by noemom

I think they do that when they show changes from a previous rendering. They must have had to do something to comply with the Planning Department and the cloud shows where and what is new…so this is probably not the first plan…

4. Posted by Joel

There’s also a smaller building going in on the vacant lot next to it on San Carlos.

5. Posted by gribble

I saw that this was planned last week when I as grabbing some donuts at the Grand Mission Bakery. This will be a wonderful new addition to the area.

6. Posted by Joseph A

I really do not like the idea of ground floor windows ,
    It would be much better if the ground floor was a solid wall facing the street with 3 full floors above

• Posted by curmudgeon

Ground floor windows are for retail. Retail doesn’t work very well without windows.

• Posted by Sierrajeff

I really hope you’re joking…

• Posted by Futurist

Joseph! retail! visual connection to the street!

7. Posted by SFJohn

@Joseph A – yes, because nothing says ‘welcome’ more than a blank wall

8. Posted by Brian M

Young people have x-ray vision and don’t need no stinking windows!