Waylaid by the economy, the HOPE-ful plan to demolish the existing Sunnydale and Velasco public housing complexes in Visitacion Valley, the largest public housing community in the City of San Francisco, and construct a mix of public, affordable, and market rate housing upon the 49-acre site is starting to make its way through Planning:
The proposed project would increase the number of dwelling units on the site from 785 to approximately 1,700, an increase of some 915 units. Of the new units, 785 would be replacement public housing dwelling units, on a one-for-one basis, that would remain affordable housing, subsidized by the San Francisco Housing Authority but under management by and the ownership of the developers or related entities.
Of the additional approximately 915 units, 24 percent (approximately 221 units including 150 senior housing units) would be affordable housing while 76 percent (approximately 694 units) would be market rate housing. In total, 60 percent of the proposed project would be affordable housing while the remaining 40 percent would be set aside as market-rate housing.
The new buildings would range in height from 40 to 60 feet with 18 buildings at 40 feet or less, 15 buildings at 50 feet, and one building at 60 feet. Thirty-three of the buildings would contain family dwelling units; the single building at 60 feet in height would contain senior housing, retail and community services on the ground floor.
And in addition to 1,700 housing units, the proposed master plan and design calls for up to 72,500 square feet of community, recreational and educational facilities; 11.5 acres of new parks and open spaces (including a community garden, a farmer’s market pavilion, and secure outdoor courtyards within residential buildings); up to 16,200 square feet of neighborhood-serving retail; and a reconfigured street network and landscaping.
The first public meeting to comment on the scope of the project’s required Environmental Impact Report (EIR) will be held on January 5, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. at the Visitacion Valley Library.