November 11, 2011

From Parking To 160 Condos At 75 Howard Street As Proposed

75 Howard Site

An application has been filed to raze the eight-story parking garage at 75 Howard Street and build a 284-foot building with 160 condos in its place. Being designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill, we're still looking for a leaked liberated early rendering. Tipsters?

Condo plan comes out of deep freeze [San Francisco Business Times]

First Published: November 11, 2011 8:00 AM

I had an early morning meeting near this parking garage a few years ago. I was not sure how long I would need to park and the guy said they had an "early bird special" with a flat rate for all day, but I had to park on one of the top floors.

When I pulled in to my space the sun was just coming up and hitting the bay and I was thinking that this is such an amazing view that the highest and best use for this space would be condos (with decks where people could watch the sun rise every day)...

Posted by: FormerAptBroker at November 11, 2011 8:02 AM

Phenomenal news. Such a wasted piece of prime property now.

Posted by: anon at November 11, 2011 8:34 AM

I've always hoped that this would be torn down and built anew- such an awkward structure to have downtown, especially facing the waterfront!

Posted by: sf at November 11, 2011 8:45 AM

I think there is a vacant lot right in front of it right?

[Editor's Note: Will It Play With The Port?]

Posted by: Paul Hwang at November 11, 2011 9:07 AM

They better get this built before that triangle becomes a park or else they are going to shadow it.

Posted by: sparky-b at November 11, 2011 9:51 AM

Excellent point Sparky-b.

Yours is a good example why "hard and fast" initiatives aren't always the best choice for the City.

Unfortunately, Proposition E was defeated in a landslide.

Posted by: Jackson at November 11, 2011 10:04 AM

Good point. This shadow rule totally draconian rule. Someone you won't be able to plant a tree because it shadows a park.

Posted by: Wai Yip Tung at November 11, 2011 12:57 PM