Next week, San Francisco’s Planning Department will formally present the results of their Inner Mission North Survey to San Francisco’s Historic Preservation Commission with a motion to adopt, modify or disapprove their findings.
The study area was designed “to encompass the portion of the Mission District that was directly affected by the 1906 Earthquake and Fires and that was physically rebuilt in the decades that followed the disaster” and covered the 30 square blocks generally bounded by Duboce Avenue and Market Street to the north; 20th Street to the south; Folsom Street and Shotwell Street to the east; and Dolores Street to the west.
The survey documented approximately 2,009 individual properties that are located within the survey area, and included assessments of historic/non-historic statuses for approximately 1,745 individual properties that are at least 50 years of age and that are located within the survey area.
The survey identified a total of 824 properties as eligible for listing in the California Register and/or National Register (including individually eligible properties and/or contributors to eligible historic districts). The survey also identified a total of 921 properties as not eligible for listing in the California Register and/or National Register.
The survey included identification and assessment of groupings of thematically related historic properties that appear to comprise thirteen (13) eligible historic districts.
The thirteen eligible historic districts, four of which are already in place and a number of which are refinements or replacements to districts previously adopted:
1. 16th and Valencia Streets Post-Fire Historic District
2. Capp and Howard Streets Mid-Block Fire Line Historic District
3. Guerrero Street Fire Line Historic District
4. Hidalgo Terrace Historic District
5. Inner Mission North Boulevards and Alleys Reconstruction Historic District
6. Lexington and San Carlos Streets Reconstruction Historic District
7. Mission Miracle Mile 19th to 20th Streets Historic District
8. Mission Miracle Mile at 17th Street Historic District
9. Ramona Street Historic District
10. South Van Ness Avenue-Shotwell-Folsom Streets Historic District
11. Sycamore Street Reconstruction Historic District
12. Wilhelm’s Reconstruction Bungalows Historic District
13. Woodward Street Romeo Flats Reconstruction Historic District
∙ Inner Mission North Historic Resource Survey [sf-planning.org]