As a plugged-in tipster reports, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to back the Mayor’s latest proposal to host the next America’s Cup in San Francisco. Larry?
Free Commercially Reasonable Rents For America’s Cup As Proposed [SocketSite]
The Pitch To Sail The America’s Cup Into San Francisco’s Bay [SocketSite]
A Cup Plan B And Latest Economic Impact Report [SocketSite]

1. Posted by Can't think of cool name

That’s nice. But from what I’ve been reading, it sounds like the city and the race organizers are not exactly on the same page concerning the latest proposal from the city. My bet is the race ends up in Newport, RI or the middle east.
    And in the mean time, the waterfront continues to go undeveloped and deteriorates into the bay. Opportunity lost. Nice job.

2. Posted by EH

Opportunity lost.
    Look before you leap.

3. Posted by anon

Wonder what caused Chris Daly to change his mind. That was rather shocking. Would love to know what went on behind the scenes.

4. Posted by Lance

Lots of rhetoric, but I think it’s largely part of the negotiations. I’m still hopeful that it’ll end up here in SF. This is undoubtedly a more scenic venue than Newport, and it’s in Larry’s backyard.

5. Posted by Oceangoer

I kind of like the way the Board didn’t cave into a bit of bullying and arm twisting from the guy who supposedly spoke for the America’s Cup decision makers. I too have a gut feel that Larry Ellison will want it here, and the proposal is certainly a winning one for the city. That said Cliff Lee was snapped up by the Phillies when everyone thought he would either stay with Texas or go to the Yankees so anything requiring negotiations and $$$ is never clear cut.

6. Posted by Dan

Lance: Newport is scenic, too, and Ellison owns a mansion there, too. But the SF proposal is a good one, and I suspect the races will be held here in SF Bay.

7. Posted by Can't think of cool name

I really hope I’m proven wrong. But, it just appears that the city didn’t do the best job preparing prior to negotiating, purely based on what I can see…
    I too would like to see the event here in SF to not only re-establish (the perception) of SF as a major maritime city, but also improve the city’s waterfront.