September 23, 2010

Fresh & Easy San Francisco In The Outer Richmond By Early Next Year

3132 Clement

"Fresh & Easy, an offshoot of the British supermarket chain Tesco PLC, is planning to open its first San Francisco site, in the Outer Richmond District [at Clement and 32nd Avenue], 'early next year,' said Brendan Wonnacott, a Fresh & Easy spokesman.

That is in addition to its previously announced intention to set up shop in the Bayview district and is part of a slew of Bay Area openings slated for next year, in Hayward, Concord, Danville, San Jose, Sunnyvale and Napa."

Wal-Mart has Fresh & Easy competition in S.F. [SFGate]
Not Quite So Easy (And A Little Less Fresh For Now) [SocketSite]

First Published: September 23, 2010 7:30 AM

Hoping a Trader Joe's sets up shop in east SoMa in the future .... Or Fresh & Easy ... Maybe in the nearly empty Embarcadero Postal Annex on Harrison's north side between Main and Beale? To Dream...... :)

Posted by: Jamie at September 23, 2010 9:55 AM

Anyone know why Albertsons and Safeway both couldn't make a go of this location? It would seem to be a pretty good spot: lots of parking, low crime, residential neighborhood, no competition in the immediate area...

Is there something I just don't see going on here?

Posted by: Average Joe at September 23, 2010 10:56 AM

Demographics? Bet a 99 Ranch Market would kill it in this location (I'd drive across town to go there). Don't know Fresh & Easy.

Posted by: Michael at September 23, 2010 11:06 AM

average joe, i've always wondered why this location was not able to make it as well.

Posted by: anonee at September 23, 2010 1:08 PM

This is great news. This section of town is the next British quarter. With a British supermarket and then British hair salon Alexander G. which is already across the street. Two great destinations. I can get my hair done AND do my grocery shopping at the same time! Go Brits :)

Posted by: SF Lea at September 23, 2010 1:45 PM

I was kinda hoping that Whole Paycheck or Trader Joe's would open here, but Fresh and Easy? Meanwhile Whole Foods is opening a location on Ocean? I would have thought it would be the reverse.

Posted by: mochanut at September 24, 2010 2:51 PM

Fresh and Easy uses the advertising tag line:

"Wholesome food, not whole paycheck."

Check it out on their website.

Posted by: John at September 26, 2010 12:41 AM

Sure would be nice to get streetcars or a subway out this way, instead of the ugly duckling that is BRT (bus rapid transit).

Posted by: Average Joe at October 7, 2010 3:30 PM

"I know nobody's likely to care, but I recently learned that this site was originally a streetcar barn until the late '50s."

I care. And yes, bring back the B-Geary in the form of BART subway to Kearny/Montgomery station as shown in the original plan. Yay to more good shops in SF.

Posted by: sfrenegade at October 7, 2010 6:36 PM

Hurry up. DeLano's closed and I need milk!

Posted by: m at December 7, 2010 5:57 PM

I'm missing Delano's and was wondering if anyone knows when Fresh and Easy will open? I've read it'll open in "early 2011...." Well, it's early 2011 so where is it!?!?

Posted by: Kas at January 10, 2011 6:09 PM

Is there something I just don't see going on here?

Perhaps it had something to do with their novel cart return arrangement.

Posted by: justme at January 26, 2011 2:44 AM

I went by FNE the other day and it is still under construction. I asked a construction worker if he knew when the store was supposed to open and he said the "second week in May."

Posted by: GTWEBSTER at April 4, 2011 3:55 PM