July 22, 2010

San Francisco Association Of Realtors New Neighborhood Map

SFAR MLS Map 2010

While printed maps won’t be available until August 1, and the MLS won’t reflect the new mappings until the evening of August 10, a plugged-in "sfrenegade" directs us to the San Francisco Association of Realtors' new neighborhood map in multiple formats online.

2010 SFAR MLS Map (pdf) [sfrealtors.com]
San Francisco’s New Neighborhoods And Boundaries Come August 10 [SocketSite]

First Published: July 22, 2010 3:00 PM

What's with the jog at Green and Lyon? Also, wasn't the proposed change suppose to be west of Divisadero? It looks like less than half a block on the map (pdf version).

Posted by: pacific at July 22, 2010 3:06 PM

^ haha, about 6 houses got kicked out of Pacific Heights. Jeez, who did they piss off?

Posted by: anon at July 22, 2010 3:20 PM

"Also, wasn't the proposed change suppose to be west of Divisadero?"

I believe the change IS west of Divis. Green east of Divis used to be all in Cow Hollow, whereas west of Divis, only the north side of Green was in Cow Hollow. Now all of Green is in Cow Hollow, and also the 6 houses that anon@3:20PM mentioned.

Posted by: sfrenegade at July 22, 2010 3:38 PM

pacific,

I don't know, but if you look at a sat map of that intersection, it looks like lyon is divided for a very short distance right there. I'm guessing they are trying to put the 6 houses on lyon into cow hollow, while everything on the south side of green into pac heights.

Also, 6f-- alamo square certainly isn't square, and, while GG park isn't in a neighborhood, the panhandle is officially part of the haight.

Posted by: rr at July 22, 2010 3:43 PM

Life will go on regardless of the line of demarcation between PH and CH...

That said, I'd argue the properties on the NORTH side of Green generally better match the characteristics of other Pacific Heights properties, while the SOUTH side of Green (at least between Lyon and Baker) more generally resembles Cow Hollow.

Drawing the boundary lines to match on-the-ground reality would result in one awkward looking map.

Posted by: anon at July 22, 2010 4:00 PM

I should have been more clear with my wording. What I meant to say was that I though the change was from Divisadero to Lyon, as described in the summary on the sfrealtors.com site:

"Dividing line between 7b (Pacific Heights) and 7d (Cow Hollow) jogs south for one block at the
west end and changes so that both sides of Green are in 7d (Cow Hollow) between Lyon and Divisadero. The boundary between Divisadero and Van Ness remains the same, keeping both sides of Green in 7b (Pacific Heights)"

Posted by: pacific at July 22, 2010 4:03 PM

Note that according to the summary, both sides of Green east of Divisadero remain in Pacific Heights. Maybe someone is challenged when it comes to drawing lines on a map. What I'm really wondering though, is why they are making these minor changes. It certainly has the potential of pissing of homeowners if they've been saying they are in one neighborhood or the other.

Posted by: pacific at July 22, 2010 4:12 PM

And believe me, there are a few certain unnamed people on those blocks that are very quick to tell you they live on the "Pacific Heights" side of Green street.

Oops, not anymore!

Posted by: anon at July 22, 2010 6:49 PM

This whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me. The notch on the PH/CH represents those homes at the foot of the Lyon Steps. Why on earth would those be carved out?

Also, is the south side of California PH, or LPH?

I think the Mayor gets some favorable map treatment as well. Masonic is now firmly associated with Ashbury Heights with the new 5f area. Meanwhile the good people of Cole Valley get a name; and Haight / Ashbury gets smaller.

Posted by: eddy at July 22, 2010 8:37 PM

This document is to reality what Madonna is to parenthood: I'm loving the theater, but I would never trust its sincerity beyond the footlights.

Posted by: stucco-sux at July 22, 2010 9:59 PM

Some of the more egregious hood-mandering has been removed since last year, but check out how south beach has been extended along king and berry to 6th st, ending just about where the BMR housing starts, who get to be part of mission bay. Sorry proles, no south beach for you.

If they can't be south beach they'd actually be better off as SOMA, which at least sounds connected to the city.

[Editor's Note: The Incredible Shrinking Mission Bay (And Expanding South Beach).]

Posted by: Delancey at July 22, 2010 10:46 PM

Dang. I've been trying to get PoBeCa on the map for years. That's Polk Below California, and I just like the name.

Do these maps actually count for anything? More realtor fantasy-fiction, like their photos, listing descriptions, data about the "market" and their claim that theirs is a "profession"?

Posted by: Embarcadero at July 23, 2010 5:25 AM

There is no /Castro/. Doesn't exist.

Posted by: CA Joel at July 23, 2010 5:44 AM

^ Then why is it that if I go up to anyone in SF and say, "I live in the Castro", they will know exactly what I mean?

Posted by: diemos at July 23, 2010 6:46 AM

I have a friend who grew up in a veryPacHts house officially in Cow Hollow. He loves to say Cow Hollow, "a neighborhood of small charming houses that is not very well known" when telling people about his childhood. It drives his wife crazy, but it appeals to his sense of modesty and reverse snobbery.

Many people from Hillsborough still say they live in Burlingame, since the town broke away from the city only a century ago.

Maybe the old time people on Lyon want to be a part of Cow Hollow.

Or it may be like the famous philanthropist who says he does not want to be in the newspaper so much.

Posted by: Conifer at July 23, 2010 9:44 AM

The Castro, the Fillmore, and Polk Gulch are all missing from this well-scrubbed map. And South of Market is getting smaller and smaller...

Posted by: James at July 23, 2010 10:10 AM

I just wish Craiglist would use the same distinctions as SFAR when selecting neighborhoods.

And I wish both would provide a stinkin' map link on their websites next to where you "select" neighborhoods as a user.

Posted by: anonymouse at July 23, 2010 10:40 AM

craigslist is dead for all intents and purposes when it comes to "real estate for sale." It's completely populated by SPAMers and scammers.

Posted by: anon at July 23, 2010 10:44 AM

There is no /Castro/. Doesn't exist.

The Castro is likely the most famous or the second most famous neighborhood in all of San Francisco (behind Haight Ashbury) and one of the more well known nabes in the country.

Try telling anybody from out of town you live in Eureka Valley and see what they say.
Now say "I live in the Castro".

It doesn't lose its existence just because it's not recognized by a trade association!

Posted by: ex SF-er at July 23, 2010 10:48 AM

I heard that the fox will be publishing a new map of the hen house. The hens are clucking in anticipation...

Posted by: VancouverJones at July 23, 2010 11:20 AM

Is there not a 'South Beach' neighborhood anymore?

Posted by: HomeLight at September 29, 2011 2:07 PM