Divisadero and Broadway: 5/11/10 (www.SocketSite.com)
You might want to avoid the intersection of Broadway and Divisadero this afternoon. The sign in the shadows above: “Sharp Crest: Trucks Not Advised.” Don’t ignore the signs.

1. Posted by BDB

My movers taking my stuff from Boston To SF did the exact same thing in the exact same spot

2. Posted by J

Someone wasn’t paying attention in grade school…

3. Posted by Denis

This happens ALL the time in Pacific Heights. Literally all…the…time. As bad as it is when trucks get stuck going down, it’s even worse when they get stuck going up.
    On a side note, did anyone notice the goats “weeding” the Presidio at the Broadway gate?

4. Posted by curmudgeon

It happened once recently on the curvy stretch of Sanchez between Liberty and 21st in Dolores Height. It was so TFU that I believe they needed a crane….

5. Posted by joph

No, but I saw a herd of goats crossing Geary St below Lone Mountain at 3am sometime last year.

6. Posted by Kenz

Weeding or mowing? The grass along the Park Presidio entrance is getting waist-high, it could use some of this biological mowing.

7. Posted by Fishchum

I’ve seen this happen before. Same exact spot.

8. Posted by rr

Literally all the time, Denis? As in, there is never a moment where there is not a truck stuck somewhere at an intersection in Pac Heights? I knew the problem was bad, but geez.
    As an aside, I love riding my motorcycle through intersections that have those ‘sharp crest’ signs. If you accelerate, you can do a natural wheelie for a short time as you pop over the crest.

9. Posted by J

I’d say that driver’s career has peaked.

10. Posted by John

Now that’s a hangover!

11. Posted by Denis

Well, it happens a couple of times a month, which is way too often.
    And please, please rr, don’t gun your motorcycle up and down the hills here. Not only is it ridiculously loud, but it sets off car alarms…

12. Posted by redseca2

When I had an old ’60’s Jaguar XKE, a good part of the city was a do-not-drive zone.

13. Posted by condoshopper

happens at leavenworth and union, going down leavenworth.

14. Posted by mikey woodz

Not only can you do a wheelie, Ive gotten both wheels off the ground on my R1 plenty of times at intersections in that area

15. Posted by rr

hey Denis-
    I don’t have to gun it to get a little air, all I have to do is go the speed limit and not brake as I come over the crest. The overall loudness of the bike has more to do with what modifications an owner has done to it than how fast it’s going. Mine is stock, which means it meets DOT standards for noise and is fairly quiet. I will submit that it’s not as quiet as your average car, but is not nearly as loud as the obnoxious straight pipe harleys or no-baffle sport bikes you have probably heard many times.
    Yes, the bike is very loud near redline (15k RPM), but to get to that many RPMs I’d be going about 70mph in 1st gear, which would be not only ridiculous, it’d be near impossible in most parts of the city due to traffic.
    The car alarm thing is something I cannot help. I believe that has more to do with the frequency of the sound than the loudness, because even when I’m puttering around the parking garage at work at no more than 15mph, I still set them off frequently.

16. Posted by BobN

I’ve always assumed it had more to do with the owner’s endowment.

17. Posted by FormerAptBroker

rr wrote:
    > The overall loudness of the bike has more to do with
    > what modifications an owner has done to it than
    > how fast it’s going.
    Then BobN wrote:
    > I’ve always assumed it had more to do with the owner’s
    > endowment.
    You are both right… Short guys and guys that are “short” in other places are the ones that jack up their trucks and put and big wheels and they are the guys that run loud pipes on their Harleys and sport bikes.
    P.S. A few years back I saw a Hummer stretch Limo full of UHS kids stuck in that spot…
    P.P.S. Anyone that drives (or in the case above rents) any kind of Hummer (this includes our Governor) is trying to overcompensate for something…

18. Posted by easy rider

My bike makes absolutely no noise on the way down. But you’ll hear me huffing and puffing on the way up ;) Pacific Heights is a great cardio.

19. Posted by redseca2

My very manly BMW motorcycle makes a sound similar to an electric hedge trimmer. I’m told that if you take the muffler competely off, it sounds like two electric hedge trimmers.

20. Posted by banloudbikes

Are ridiculously loud bikes like Harleys or those with modifications legal? They shouldn’t be, talk about major noise pollution.

21. Posted by jon

The off-road BMW’s sound like a Toyota or Nissan with a bad muffler. Not loud, just a crummy sound.
    The road models are what all bikes should sound like.

22. Posted by VancouverJones

How do the stretch limos get to the folks in Pacific Heights?

23. Posted by Joe Blfstyk

Folks in Pacific Heights don’t ride in stretch limos. Those are for teenyboppers from Concord tripping into the big city on Prom Nite.

24. Posted by Fishchum

Pine street coming up from downtown has a couple of good intersections for catching air on a motorcycle. I used to tend bar at a downtown restaurant and then ride home. Just hit the intersection when you’ve got the green light and you can easily get both wheels off the ground.

25. Posted by Daviator

Here’s what happens when they try to get a limo over some of our hills: http://www.divinecaroline.com/22250/79520-san-francisco-hill-vs–stretch

26. Posted by SJ Henry

I used to take Gough down to the 101 very early each morning on my way to work, and there were a few times I got all four wheels off the ground in my GTI. Not sure which cross street was the best… maybe Golden Gate? Great way to start the day!

27. Folks, the reason that stretch limos get stuck is that the sign states “Sharp Crest: Trucks Not Advised.”. See, stretch limos are not warned in our oh so explicit USA road signage.
    In the UK they use a much more general language : “Risk of grounding” and let the driver decide whether that applies to their Jag.