May 6, 2009

54-58 South Park: The Inside Scoop (Both Literally And Figuratively)

54-58 South Park (www.SocketSite.com)

54-58 South Park has been in our sights since they started building and we finally have the scoop (and a peek). It’s two condos over commercial with the condos coming soon.

56%20South%20Park%20Living.jpg

The middle unit #56 measures around 2,000 square feet with two bedrooms (plus study), two and one-half baths; fourteen foot ceilings in the dining room; two car parking; and a 1,000 square foot deck. Expected to be asking $2,695,000.

56 South Park: Kitchen

The three level top unit #54 measures over 3,000 square feet with three bedrooms, three full bathrooms (two halves); a retractable skylight over the kitchen; fifteen foot ceilings in the living area; two car parking; and over 1,500 square feet of deck. Asking $3,845,000.

56 South Park: Bedroom

The website is still but a placeholder, but in addition to the shots above (all from #56), we offer the floor plans below:

56 South Park: Floor Plan (click to enlarge)

54 South Park: Floor Plan

We’ll let you know when they're officially on the market (and additional photography is online). And yes, that’s 70 South Park to the left next door.

∙ Listing: 54-56 South Park [54-56southpark.com]
The SocketSite Scoop On 70 South Park (A.K.A. “Gallery House”) [SocketSite]

First Published: May 6, 2009 3:30 PM

thanks, i needed a chuckle.
lol@those prices.
no way.

Posted by: lolcat_94123 at May 6, 2009 3:53 PM

They'll get that price easily. Look at the money flowing from deals like this, and the dot-commers just love South Park:

Ahhh, the memories . . .

Posted by: Trip at May 6, 2009 3:59 PM

well, regardless of how you feel about the price, the plan looks incredibly sensible, and the few pics confirm that. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Posted by: curmudgeon at May 6, 2009 4:07 PM

Putting lots of recessed lights in a tall ceiling seems like a major inconvenience and more a source of glare than quality light. The suspended kettle light things are already giving me nightmares. How did terrible lighting become a luxury feature?

Posted by: Mole Man at May 6, 2009 4:32 PM

re: internetnews link, those were the days an article with no dates haha

Posted by: daniel at May 6, 2009 4:40 PM

Oh, man, how my girlfriend would LOVE those bedroom doors:

[Me, sneaking in late one night, opening the door]: WHHHOOOOMMMMP

[my girlfriend, formerly asleep in bed]: WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!?!?!

I personally love the white linoleum on the living room floor. So homey, and easy to keep clean!

Posted by: tipster at May 6, 2009 4:47 PM

These places are pretty awesome. I like the open feel and the design. Very loft like. That is an amazing location. For those prices I'd like to have a view of some water, or a bridge, or something. Seems high.

Posted by: eddy at May 6, 2009 4:50 PM

There has been just three (3) condos sold this year with a prices greater than or equal to $1,300 per square foot. One at 999 Green, one at the St Regis and one at the Four Seasons.

Posted by: FSBO at May 6, 2009 4:55 PM

Are those Sliding Door Company doors? I dream about putting those in my next house. However, I don't know if using them as bedroom doors is a good idea since they don't look very sound-proof (and because of tipster's scenario above).

What a nice stove in the kitchen. Too bad it'll be hard to use that kitchen because of the lack of storage space. 3,000 square feet is adequate space for parties, but you'll need to have it all catered.

[Editor’s Note: With respect to kitchen storage an additional shot has been added above.]

Posted by: ohtheniceslidingdoors at May 6, 2009 4:55 PM

both places look great. offer them at 1.6 and 2.2 and I am interested.

Posted by: steve at May 6, 2009 5:13 PM

Wow, looks very nice. Vanguard scares me a bit.

Posted by: pwb at May 6, 2009 5:24 PM

everyone realizes there have been zero IPO's in high tech in what...the last 18 months...ZERO. Maybe Rackspace and [they're] in Texas. Maybe someone in the Financial Services sector will buy - oh wait....

Posted by: flautist at May 6, 2009 5:57 PM

These will never sell at this price. I used to eat at South Park - not even close to a decent location for these prices. The units look well made and I like the design, but in this market - not in a million, I mean 3.8 million, years. Maybe one of the Giants will buy one - Zito is probably the only one who can afford it.

Posted by: pdt at May 6, 2009 6:24 PM

SPark looks & feels great from roughly 7AM to 10PM Mon-Fri. Go there on a weekend, and the general ambiance reverts to SPark circa 1985. Not dangerous - just scuzzy and a bit creepy.

Not a place I'd want to wake up to regularly on Saturday & Sunday mornings (shudders)

Posted by: grimwood at May 6, 2009 6:47 PM

SPark can be plenty creepy during the weekday too.

Posted by: lolcat_94123 at May 6, 2009 7:20 PM

Fabulous place. I have walked through a few times with the contractor and have been there while other agents were walking clients through.

It's parkfront proeprty. The building next door is super cool with some steel deal on the exerior.

If I could live anywhere in the city I would live in the lower of these two, if it came bundled withei the commerical space below.

Oh if wishing made it so. It 's a start.

I am not sure how you are supposed to access the cabinets way up top in the kitchen

This has a great feel and flow - nice finishes and nice indoor outdoor. It is lovely.

Posted by: kathleen at May 6, 2009 8:42 PM

Is Vanguard greek for overpricing?

Posted by: kathleen at May 6, 2009 8:50 PM

Adding a Miele built in espresso machine in the kitchen is a $452k value add minimum!

Posted by: Ryan at May 6, 2009 9:47 PM

I love South Park, I go to eat here all the time, when I can slip away from the office for an hour. Some homeless hang out at one end, but I have never seen them bother anyone and I have been eating here since the mid-nineties.

Open Table, a San Francisco based internet company, just filed for one. If they make it, expect a bunch more.

This price is a little hard to swallow though.

Posted by: NoeValleyJim at May 6, 2009 9:57 PM

I'm with grimwood on the neighborhood. I used to work in this area up until a few months ago. It's fine during business hours, but a little "off" outside those hours. It's not a "bad" neighborhood, but not good enough for the prices they're asking for. In addition, baseball season traffic will effect you if you have a car or take the Muni train, but that's an easy workaround.

On the plus side there's a great coffee shop in the park, a nice variety of restaurants close by, plus grocery stores within a reasonable distance.

Posted by: pica1986 at May 6, 2009 10:28 PM

Very soviet-era chic. A few red flags would make it more authentic.

You can play Brejnev every late october waving at the troops from your balcony.

Posted by: San FronziScheme at May 6, 2009 10:28 PM

Don't forget this area is completely dead on the weekends (I used to live nearby). These will get some traction once they hit a 50% price reduction.

Posted by: lolcat_94123 at May 6, 2009 11:40 PM

What is up with all of the "design" worship? There are some things that are rather popular including what I call "Banana Republic" lighting, but these types of fixtures are already banned in residential construction in other cities for not being green enough. San Francisco is WAY behind on green codes for residential construction compared to other cities including the often talked about Chicago.

I am also surprised by the popularity of the kitchen. Those top cabinets will remain empty, and the stainless steel box (fridge) in the center is not only out of place, but out of date. The range hood "solution" is just dumb. I thought stainless steel went out with the bubble! I'm always surprised that kitchens in San Francisco are not nearly as creative as the cuisine of the city itself.

Posted by: anonarch at May 7, 2009 5:25 AM

These residences have the best location on the park -- closer to 2nd than 3rd, and facing east to catch the morning sun. The park's a unique neighborhood for SF and very appealing.

Posted by: midcentfan at May 7, 2009 7:41 AM

I have no idea how to value the commercial space below, but 2.7 + 3.8 + ?? = an insane valuation for a south park building no matter how it is improved.

Posted by: steve at May 7, 2009 8:33 AM

"Stainless steel went out with the bubble?"

What "came in" to style in America post bubble was the euro monochrome bright color lacquered look, or the (sorry, I've forgotten the term) all cabinet look. And for the most part give me stainless versus monotonous any day ...

Posted by: anonn at May 7, 2009 8:57 AM

maybe galliano is greek for overpricing. i seen other property from listing agent. he is overpricing alot.

Posted by: wrecker at May 7, 2009 9:54 AM

where did the money go?

tall white walls and white floor (is that some kind of poured floor like a Terrazzo?). finishes seem nice enough I guess, but there sure aren't many finishes. Terrazzo floors are expensive, but not $1350/sq ft expensive!

is it all due to land costs????

the layouts are sensible enough, although I'd like more than 2 bedrooms for 2.7M and more than 3 bedrooms for 3.8M. the layout is very very functional, and I'm a sucker for functional layouts. bravo. I'm just SO happy they didn't put the bedroom by the living room like so much contemporary "design".

those barn doors are not practical. I have a good friend with similar doors. They look cool, and contrary to tipster's point they are very very quiet to operate. but they don't block sound well. however, in this case there was good thought put into the layout, and the noisy areas are down the hallway (LR, Kitchen, etc)

people say this is good design, but I don't see it. Is it not just a bunch of square white rooms? where is the design?

FWIW: I think it's wonderful to have such a practical design like this. It's so much better than the totally impractical "designs" that I've seen before that look phenomenal but aren't liveable... I'm just having trouble seeing where people see design here, unless they mean the exterior (which I like a lot)

Posted by: ex SF-er at May 7, 2009 10:01 AM

@ ex-SFer: Good design comes from not sourcing the entire place from Home Depot, for starters. You may not see it, but design is about the choices that get made and the opportunity to eliminate. Someone had to design the windows. Someone else designed the lighting system. And simple finishes- the ones that look like nothing- are usually the ones that cost the most.

They seem to have thought things through very nicely. Hot tub on the roof? Check. Elevator access to the roof? Check. Retractable roof over the kitchen? Check.

The price on the upper unit actually seems a little low.

Posted by: Rocco at May 7, 2009 1:20 PM

High ceilings + recessed lighting = no dusting

Count me in.

Posted by: BobN at May 7, 2009 1:50 PM

The sliding doors are easy to replace if someone decides they can't abide them -- just pop in a cool pair of double doors....

Posted by: midcentfan at May 7, 2009 2:23 PM

The price on the upper unit actually seems a little low

Possibly the funniest SS comment in quite a while. Unlike Rocco, I'm not expecting a bidding war to break out. To see why, let's continue his list: $3.845M price: Check. Bridge and water views: No check. Any views: No check. SFH: No check. $3M nabe: No Check

Posted by: steve at May 7, 2009 2:35 PM

"Not as long as people are expecting professional grade appliances? That's what they are, stainless steel. Or maybe nickel."

Stainless does not equal professional grade. Granted, most professional grade (restaurant, catering kitchens) equipment is stainless. But what we see in the standard granite/stainless drop-in kitchen is consumer grade stuff with a thin stainless skin.

I'd love to have a true pro kitchen though haven't really seen that in residential offerings. Well, maybe that Colgate Mansion qualifies, but that gear needs some serious refinement.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at May 7, 2009 7:45 PM

Laughingly overpriced. Buy your own piece of fugly soviet architecture for the price of a large castle in France.

The way I see it go:
1 - The seller will make a point of proving everyone this is the correct price.
2 - He'll lower by 25% and will make a point to prove he can wait it out.
3 - Then he'll make a point of not even listing the place anymore, drowning his anger in designer Vodka.

More delusion at the top.

See you in 2 years. By that time that cold fresh concrete will have aged and it will look even more ugly and soulless. And it will have lost its "edge".

Posted by: San FronziScheme at May 7, 2009 9:39 PM

well said, fronzi!

Posted by: steve at May 7, 2009 10:25 PM

There really is nothing like drowning in designer vodka. I don't see how it took you all the way to step three to get there though. As I see it it was:

Step 1: Drown in designer vodka with listing agent in order to come up with price.

Posted by: sparky at May 8, 2009 9:07 AM

The smaller place can be had for 2M Euro, which is roughly the price for this 17th century marvel one hour from Geneva, Switzerland:

With 30 Acres of landscaped hillside beauty, your own private swimming pool and tennis court.

Or you can live along the resident bums on South Park. They're chatty and very clean, considering...

Posted by: San FronziScheme at May 8, 2009 9:31 AM

Aha... South Park... the oasis of the East SoMa. You can see it from the windows of the 1000 dollar + psqft little boxes in the sky.

You can choose to live in a little box in the sky and stare out at the city and South Park or you can choose to live in the city and enjoy life on South Park.

For those that choose to live in a sky box, you can trek down the long hallway to stand and wait for your elevator that takes you to the street lobby of your dream. Once out of your sky box lobby you stroll down sidewalks (that may or may not exist in your new neighborhood) along the busy car clogged streets where you finally get to South Park. Ever changing.. always evolving South Park (founded in 1854).

Those of us that live on South Park enjoy the ebb and flow of the city...the ever changing life of living in a city. From the gritty days of Rock & Rollers, bond fires burning in the park to keep the winos warm to the Dotcom millionaires driven in limos. South Park is city living at it's best.

We like the rumors...it's dangerous...it's kool...it's got...OMG...homeless people living in the trees and drug lords buried under the bushes.

These rumors keep the faint of hart away...well almost. And if you really think it's dangerous... by all means please stay away. We wouldn't want you to get hurt now.

There are those that can and those that can't afford to own and live on South Park. Worry not folks...there is a buyer out there that understands the intrinsic value of owning a place on the Park.

54-58 South Park along with it's new neighbors is accretive by nature. It's funny that South Park always seems to get held up as a model neighborhood by planers and urbanologist. But there will always be those that feel that they have to trash a place they otherwise would love to live on if they could.

By the way the front sliding windows and roof living space is wonderful touch to 54-56. What a wonderful way to enjoy living on South Park.

Been there since the early 80's...wouldn't live anywhere else in the city..blocks to MoMa..the Bay..best transportation...AT&T park...and the best weather in the city. Trash it all you want, but please pick up after your dog.

Posted by: Jacko at May 30, 2009 11:56 AM

The open kitchen to the living room is a huge, huge mistake that everyone will groan about years from now. Equally horrid is the recessed lighting, and, the amazing ability of these architects to design boxy dimensions that surely are identical to a business hotel.

These places all look like hotels.

Posted by: SurveyKid at June 1, 2009 10:32 PM

52 is in escrow

Posted by: eddy at July 30, 2009 4:31 PM

I have an inside scoop. I worked with one of the companies down there. I saw the corners that they cut. Shalco Construction used cheapest crap possible. The building leans to the right. Wouldn't wanna be in it when the big one comes. Seriously folks it will come down. I wouldn't live there if they were giving it away.

Posted by: Fucknadar at September 16, 2009 2:42 PM

@fucknadar-

you are a hater my friend.

Posted by: anon at September 16, 2009 4:50 PM