January 20, 2009

Okay, So Maybe Not So Soon For The Corner Of Hayes And Franklin

Hayes and Franklin Rising (www.SocketSite.com)

A plugged-in reader’s update on the 32 condos and retail rising at the corner of Hayes and Franklin:

I spoke with the office for the Hayes and Franklin condo which is currently being framed. She told me that they currently don't have a name yet for the condo and won’t be marketing units until late 2009/early 2010. Apparently there will be no studios, just 1,2, and 3 bedroom units. There is no pricing available yet.

We'll keep you posted and plugged-in.

32 Condos Coming "Soon" To The Corner Of Hayes And Franklin [SocketSite]

First Published: January 20, 2009 11:15 AM

I give them permission to call it The Vox.

Failing that, I nominate "Condo 32: Residential Boogaloo".

Posted by: vox at January 20, 2009 11:54 AM

What about the ones around the corner at Fell and Van Ness?

Posted by: anon at January 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Let's hope they resist a name altogether and use um, the building number and street name. This is dignified, more informative, and less presumptuous. (Especially for a stucco-sprayed, plywood constructed building). Even the fine new 15 Central Park West doesn't bestow itself w/a silly moniker. Beyond the marketers, what is anyone thinking?

Posted by: invented at January 20, 2009 2:21 PM

What's up with all the plywood? Wouldn't there at least be concrete between the floors? Looks like it will be easier to hear your above and below neighbors.

Posted by: perplexed at January 20, 2009 3:45 PM

invented:

15 Central Park West is both an address and a prestigious sounding moniker. No additional moniker is needed.

Posted by: rr at January 20, 2009 4:23 PM

"I live at the 'Hayes Franklin'" has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: dub dub at January 20, 2009 4:42 PM

"Wouldn't there at least be concrete between the floors?"

Agreed! I have lived in Europe and Chicago and did not experience the sound of thumping feet above me until I moved to San Francisco. The least one should expect today is concrete and sound insulation between floors. Why are so many buildings so poorly built here?

Posted by: anonfedup at January 20, 2009 4:47 PM

anonfedup:

Because they can (build cheaply)

And...the better to collapse when the next Modest One hits.

Posted by: bk at January 20, 2009 5:14 PM

I have never heard of a wood frame building with concrete floors. Wouldn't the concrete buckle and bend the wood due to sheer weight?

Posted by: iAMentitledTO3parkingSPOTS at January 20, 2009 7:09 PM

Any news on the parking lot on polk and van ness? I thought that had been shuttered and marked for development but I notice it's back open and operating now.

Posted by: Mr Juggles at January 20, 2009 8:29 PM

Mr. Juggles - which parking lot are you talking about? I can't think of any that stretch all the way between Polk and Van Ness...

Posted by: Brutus at January 20, 2009 9:59 PM

Part of the reason that buildings of this size are made of wood is that wood structures can handle a quake well. The other part is that it is cheaper than reinforced concrete.

Floors made of concrete are very heavy and will shimmy around a lot more than lightweight wooden floors in a quake. That means that a lot more steel and concrete needs to go in to the supporting posts and walls.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at January 20, 2009 11:29 PM

anonfedup,

Concrete does not always mean soundproofing. I know a few buildings in Europe with reinforced concrete everywhere. It's incredibly solid. You can't drill easily into it. I have used so many expensive drill bits at my folk's place that I made them switch to adhesive attachments for their picture frames! And you can literally hear a pin drop on the upper floor if someone has tile floors. Other sounds are OK, but anything hard hitting their floor and everyone in the building will hear it.

Floors like these are not poured on site. They are curved concrete plates that are designed to go flat under their own gravity when put into place. The internal constraints in the plates are huge. The solution for soundproofing is often an insulation layer between the concrete and your finishing surface. Not everyone does it though, and a friend of mine did a poor job doing it by himself. He has craked a few tiles here and there since.

Posted by: 137 DOM at January 21, 2009 12:04 AM

"Concrete does not always mean soundproofing."

Agreed. And precast planks also can not absorb all sounds, but with proper sound insulation barriers you can almost provide residents with sound proof living.

As an example, when I lived in a high rise in Chicago, I was invited to next door neighbors parties which I could not hear in my own unit.
Also, I remember having someone come down to my unit to apologize about her son "blasting his music" and I told her I never even heard it. If you look at promotions for developements in other cities, especially in NYC and Chicago, soundproofing is usually promoted, and details of steps taken are provided.

My first flat in San Francisco was in the Marina and I could hear the person above me cough, as well as phones ringing, feet walking, doors closing etc. But it is not just the Marina, I have visited flats from Cole Valley to Russian Hill, and many buyers of million dollar units that have been refurbished did not include ANY sound insulation. Sure Italian cabinets in the kitchens are nice, but I would rather have standard cabinets and quiet nights.

Posted by: anonfedup at January 21, 2009 4:35 AM

Sorry for the brain fart. I meant the corner of Washington & Van Ness on the southeast corner.

Posted by: Mr Juggles at January 21, 2009 7:46 AM

I pass this place every morning. Does anyone know the beef the construction workers had with Plant Construction? They have some pro union type picket signs.

Posted by: RuckShaw at January 27, 2009 10:58 AM