Avalon at Mission Bay III Rising Up Across The Creek (www.SocketSite.com)
While Arterra has opened its doors, the third phase of Avalon at Mission Bay (240 Berry) rises across the street. And for those who don’t already know, the design of what’s to be (and one sweet construction cam).
Arterra (300 Berry) Update: Sales Office Onsite And Models Unveiling [SocketSite]
240 Berry: No Condos For You [SocketSite]
Avalon At Mission Bay Phase III (240 Berry) Starts Its Ascent [SocketSite]

1. Posted by sf

I’ve said it before: The Red and Grey of Avalon will clash terribly with the Blue and Orange of Arterra, and it will be an eyesore.

2. Posted by noearch

oh please, give me a break.
    like, buildings are supposed to be all matchy-matchy like fashion statement?
    what a lame comment.

3. Posted by mongrel

I think this building will be pretty interesting actually. The colors may not match The Arterra’s scheme but they do match the cladding of one of the other lower rise buildings along Berry. I forget the exact address but I believe it would be just to the right of this photo along Mission Creek. I think the variation of colors and materials will only add to the hood. It is too bad the other 2 Avalon buildings couldn’t have been a bit more interesting. They are SO bland and already look decades old. Say no to stucco!

4. Posted by pip

“The colors may not match The Arterra’s scheme but they do match the cladding of one of the other lower rise buildings along Berry.”
    235 Berry:

5. Posted by mongrel

^^^Yes. Thanks.

6. Posted by sf

How about something orange and black, which would be perfect in this locations for obvious reasons.

7. Posted by sf

BTW they already started putting the skin on, it is a very light red, not bright as in the renderings. It looks like the same colors and material that are on Cubix.

8. Posted by fs

Wow sf, sounds like you are somewhat fascinated with this area. Why do you hate it so much?

9. Posted by sf

Actually the Mission Bay area is growing on me. It’s probably the cleanest neighborhood in the city and if it weren’t for the damn bridge and tunnellers coming to ATT it would also be pretty desireable for me. I really admire that all the good stuff is going in SOMA while North Beach and northern SF is left to rot and age ungracefully, no longer landmarks but tourist traps. Looking forward to more great stuff in MB and I can’t wait to be a part of it !!

10. Posted by ex SF-er

I’m glad they’re finally developing this area. It makes no sense that they’ve left this a wasteland for decades.
    However: anybody know the final plan for 3rd street across the canal, but north of the UCSF campus? last time I was up there it was all parking lots.
    that area could command some hefty prices… I’d pay a fair amount to live on a residentially developed China Basin St as example. (once it was a neighborhood).
    or are those warehouses/buildings prime for business use? (in other words, do them being on the water add value to them as businesses?)
    not familiar with the area since it’s only recently that there’s been anything over there.
    it would be odd for it to turn into a “chic” neighborhood, but not impossible given how far along Noe, Potrero, and Mission have come.

11. Posted by rr AKA the original Ryan

ex SF-er
    The plan is fairly complex. Abutting the canal will be a hotel. South of that, but west of 3rd is going to be all condos above retail, with all of the retail facing the currently-under-construction 4th st extension from the bridge through the UCSF campus to 16th.
    Right now the first of many condo buildings is under construction, and UCSF is finishing the northern edge of it’s campus, which is going to consist of 2-3 more research buildings, as well as a steam-plant for campus-wide heat and a few tennis courts and soccer fields.
    Last I heard, the also wanted to extend the canal down to the UCSF community center so they could have a dock and some kayaks, but most people thought that idea was a little ridiculous.
    If you’d like to see the land use map, you can find it here: http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/sfra/Projects/MB%20Land%20Use%20Plan%20Map_11.05.pdf

12. Posted by rr AKA the original Ryan

I forgot to add:
    lots 36, 38, 39 and X3 have been purchased by UCSF for the new medical center.
    one of the N-labeled lots is Avalon phase 3, though I’m not sure which one since I don’t pay attention to what building under construction is called what.
    Also, for those not following SocketSite’s continuing coverage, north of lots 8-9 is currently under bid and proposal

13. Posted by Oceangoer

sf those “damn bridge and tunnelers coming to ATT” help keep SF thriving. Get over it.

14. Posted by ex SF-er

wow. thanks rr AKA. impressive plans!
    well done SF!

15. Posted by SocketSite

Great form and our thanks as well “rr.”
    Another resource for those interested in the development of Mission Bay: An Overview Of Mission Bay (on which it’s the lot labeled “Signature III” that’s now Avalon Phase III).