As we first reported at the beginning of the year, and formally confirmed last week, Shake Shack is planning to convert the shuttered Real Food Company building on the southeast corner of Fillmore and Filbert, down in Cow Hollow, into its first outlet in San Francisco, as newly rendered below.

But in addition to the 3,650 square foot Shack on the corner, the proposed redevelopment of the 12,000-square-foot building would also include a 900-square-foot coffee shop fronting Filbert and a 6,600-square-foot Rumble Fitness, the SoulCycle of boxing studios, which could be its first outlet in San Francisco, of not the west coast, depending upon approvals and other leases in the works.

We’ll keep you posted and plugged-in.

1. Posted by SF Real

Ouch. That seems very over scaled and loud for that corner. I predict a sea of scooters in front…

• Posted by donjuan

have you been on fillmore/greenwhich at 1 am? quite literally one of the most ‘loud’ parts of the city.

• Posted by NoPa Kid

Yeah, the vacant storefront is a better use of space. The scooters either won’t be around when this is delivered or they will be regulated.

Yes, they’re a nuisance to the city. No, they shouldn’t determine whether or not land is properly used.

• Posted by Chris

That is the existing building. I am not sure how it would be “over-scaled.” It contained an operating grocery store for several years. Now, it will contain a yoga studio, which the neighborhood already has plenty of, and a burger store (again, something that already exists in more than one location in the neighborhood). I have never seen a “sea of scooters” in the neighborhood, and I doubt two businesses that are similar to ones already existing in the neighborhood would attract them.

There are enough real problems in SF without inventing imaginary ones…

2. Posted by Ivoryhouse

I live a block away. Fingers crossed this becomes a reality.

3. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

What is the deal with rendering artists placing bicyclists in illegal street positions?

• Posted by BobN

Realism.

• Posted by Tipster

Matches the realism of the cracked and crumbling streets.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Not really. There once was a time when Hispanic bicyclists rode against traffic (as is custom in their home countries) but that has changed radically in the last decade.

Granted some bicyclists violate the law but wrong-way riding isn’t very common anymore. I think this was a case of the illustrator just filling the scene with activity but not paying attention to being functionally realistic.

• Posted by Notcom

If you’re referring to that white-shirted gentleman in the top rendering, it’s obvious to me he’s turned around to wait for his friend – as a gentleman would do: we see them continuing on their way in the next rendering, after she caught up the parked cars have moved…and along with the traffic flow.

• Posted by c_q

Missing all the scooters blocking sidewalks from the rendering also.

• Posted by Miraloma Man

Why no early middle-aged [people] like me in these renderings? In Millennial/Gen Z San Francisco has everyone over 25 years old been sent to Carousel?

Rats! I just dated myself again.

• Posted by PRE

There’s the old guy with the suit jacket and the oddly mismatched white slacks and the thinning pate who seems to have escaped the sandman. I love that movie!

4. Posted by Eddy

You’re going to make that comment but ignore the guitar player sitting on the metered curb with no cars parked at the meters at high noon in the Marina?

[Editor’s Note: Keep in mind this is Cow Hollow, not the Marina (as has been misreported, ad infinitum, elsewhere).]

5. Posted by Miraloma Man

And, what the hell are “Frozen Custard Fries?” Is this the new Avocado Toast?

6. Posted by SFrentier

Is shake shack better quality than in and out? Never been.

• Posted by shza

Yes. In n out is only good if you’re comparing it to McDonald’s and Burger King (except the fries, which are just terrible, even compared to those places). Shake Shack is more in the Super Duper / TruBurger tier.

• Posted by Brisket

Yes much better, the meat tastes beefier, nice sear on the patty and the shakes and concretes are good. But reading these comments I would generally advise against getting food advice from the Socketsite forum.

7. Posted by Shmen drick

tried shake shack in Miami… it’s just ok.

8. Posted by Amewsed

Shake Shack is just okay in terms of taste. Would I go out of my way to eat there? No. Tried the ones in NYC and Boston. I suspect those who like it are probably from the East Coast and the place reminds them a bit of home much like Halal Guys food trucks. Same reason I have my various NYC fridge magnets, sweatshirt, and souvenir NYC pen even though I only visited, but not lived in, NYC. The energy there is incomparable.

As for Rumble, good. Nice to see real guys (and gals) box to sweat out their toxins instead of sitting around glued to their laptops and phones.

9. Posted by ElmerJFuddMillionaireGentrifier

This..now this…..this is just hilarious. A giant middle finger pointed at the community

• Posted by TelegraphHillHatesPoorPeople

Better to leave it as a blighted empty storefront I’m sure?

• Posted by Chris

What middle finger? A yoga studio and a burger store? If that is your idea of a middle finger, please flip me off more often. There are already several yoga studios in the neighborhood, and a good number of burger stores–the neighborhood seems to be doing just fine with them, and two more will not change anything. That said, I was hoping for another nice dinner restaurant, but a Shake Shack will do nicely instead of an empty storefront.

Either you are just being obtuse, or you have no clue about what the neighborhood is like and you are posting from out-of-state.

10. Posted by Ross Tibbits

I love the renderings without any cars. So ideal.

• Posted by Chris

The top rendering has several cars drawn in. The bottom one has no cars to give a better perspective of the building. It is common practice when rendering a proposed building to remove trees, telephone poles, cars, and other visual obstructions from the scene so the viewer can see the details of the proposed building. Not idealism, just practicality.

11. Posted by NOPA

A set back with 2 or 3 floors of condos on top would have been nice. Rich people need homes too.