February 19, 2014

The Lange House (And Lot) Hits The Market In Cole Valley

199%20Carl.gif

If you’ve ever coveted the large Cole Valley Victorian at the corner of Carl and Stanyan, now's your chance to act, or at the very least to take a peek inside.

Designed by Swedish architect August Nordin and constructed in 1912, the house at 199 Carl was built for the Lange family who were dairy farmers in the Haight-Ashbury.

With four floors of living space, parking for three cars, and a potentially sub-dividable lot along Stanyan Street, the property is now on the market and listed for $3,400,000.

199%20Carl%20Lot.gif

First Published: February 19, 2014 5:00 PM

Oooh, I can't wait to see the inside since I live up the block on Stanyan! This place is humongous from the outside, and appears to be well built and fairly well maintained despite the dated interiors.

The location is unbelievably noisy with a N-Judah sstops on both corners of that intersection. Just across Stanyan by the N-Judah stop are 2 flipper TICs at 205-207 Carl for sale ($2.8M), this puts them to shame.

Posted by: haightgirl at February 19, 2014 5:47 PM

3.4 is the post-Reno price on a single lot. Figuring 650 for the extra lot, and 1M for the reno (minimum) then this place goes for 3M, max, if it sells to a retail buyer and more like 2.4 max to a developer.

Fair amount of fantasy pricing going on in this town right now. Will end in tears for the first listing agent and the seller will come to their senses in time for agent 3, maybe 2 if they are good.

Posted by: around1905 at February 19, 2014 6:38 PM

The listing link? Uhm, wow, 1997 called, and they want their website back.

Posted by: Brian at February 20, 2014 12:16 AM

Just sent this listing to a friend in Southern California who has a pretty incredible job offer with GOOGLE and was thinking of moving to S.F. This, along with some rentals online I sent, has turned into the final straw that broke the camel's back so to speak and convinced her to not move up here no matter what the salary package is.
She has a good life, makes about 200K down there, but can live much better by staying put with the job and house she has now.

She sent back three listings from Southern California for this same Stanyan Street asking price...they included:

1.) A mid-century modern home in hills above Sunset Blvd. (West Hollywood) with pool and view to sea and downtown. 2.95m
2.) A home in Laguna Beach one "row" above sand with private gate access to private beach. 3.4m
3.) A Spanish style estate type property built in 1920's in Pasadena (needs work, 2.59m)

Now all three of these listings were not huge houses, and two needed work, but had a lot more upside potential and were very attractive.

To live on this corner of Stanyan at this price makes me wonder when do we reach the pricing that makes San Francisco no longer desirable?

Posted by: ThinkingBeyond7x7 at February 20, 2014 12:47 AM

Bad location and nearby Haight Street is not exactly an attraction these days

Posted by: Mark F. at February 20, 2014 3:17 AM

When does SF stop being desirable? I love living on 24th Street in the Mission. However, if I had just finished school I wouldn't look for a job here, no chance.

Posted by: Sam at February 20, 2014 7:17 AM

you would if you could make $100K right out of college, or get a boatload of stock options at a startup

Posted by: the wolf at February 20, 2014 5:00 PM

No, only if that was the only tech job I could get. I would first look for a tech job in Portland, Austin, and Seattle where the same salary would buy me a much much higher standard of living.

Posted by: Sam at February 21, 2014 7:45 AM

Agee with Sam! As an architect, I am paid no less for my services in Portland, Seattle, San Diego or Palm Springs, so if someone in my profession selects San Francisco as their residence, they are going to have a drastic lifestyle cut in exchange for the "benefits" of living in this city. Our firm sees more and more people who want to live and work here for about 2 years after college, but they then pack up and move to a city they will call "home". San Francisco seems to be their required after University stop before they get married and move on to have a family. We see most of our younger staff move to Southern California and the Pacific Northwest after they have experienced San Francisco. Most do not want to stay as they cannot afford to purchase a home here.

Posted by: Arch at February 21, 2014 10:26 AM

yea, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm 28 and my girlfriend and I wish to purchase a house. We do like some near the Glen Park bart stop, and random ones elsewhere but they are all quite small and not particularly nicely appointed. We're about to look at Oakland, but I have this voice in my head telling me to look at Portland / Seattle. Portland is interesting but has a markedly less interesting arts scene, Seattle is more interesting but rains a lot. Even still its hard to argue with the housing difference.

Posted by: Sam at February 21, 2014 11:46 AM

Posted by: SocketSite at April 14, 2014 12:08 PM

Actually this was not the original farm house. The Langes moved their house from Divisidero to this site in 1870. Their farm was bordered by Carl / Cole/ Grattan to Stanyan and they raised pigs as well. It wasn't until 1888 that they built this house and their daughter moved the old house once again, this time up to Ashbury Heights. She claimed the location didn't have all the sand fleas that the flat lands have. My source is an art / history project from the early 80's called "Street Museum" that published a great self guided history tour of the Haight. Somehow I kept the pamphlet!

Posted by: woods_kw at April 14, 2014 9:53 PM