As we first reported and revealed last week, the façade for Apple’s proposed flagship store on Union Square has been redesigned by Foster + Partners to incorporate a pair of full-height sliding glass doors, each measuring 23 feet wide and 44.5 feet tall and allowing the store to be opened to the street (click renderings to enlarge).

This afternoon, the revised designs for the store and an all new plaza behind will go before San Francisco’s Planning Commission to be approved.

1. Posted by 4oceans

How do you say: cold & windy? Great for testing wind sheer strength of new mini medium sized Ipads….

2. Posted by 1965

The monolithic hunk of stone on the west side of this design is starting to grate on me.

3. Posted by Futurist

As bad and non functional and arrogant as their proposed space ship world headquarters down in Silicon Valley.
    I never have and never will own any Apple products.

4. Posted by Lori

What happens when it rains, like today? Is everyone inside the store going to get soaked? As well as the merchandise?
    This design is really not working for me.

5. Posted by Anon94123

I believe Chicago required their Michigan Avenue store to have a green roof that is open to the public. A landscaped public accessible rooftop plaza would have been great at this location as well.

6. Posted by redseca2

I remember the morning we woke up to find a family of scrub jays had moved into our living room overnight.
    They like shiny things too.

7. Posted by Sierrajeff

@1965 – agree, horrible for this pedestrian-heavy location.
    @anon94123 – great idea, which would have potentially justified the *loss* in height as compared to the existing building.

8. Posted by sf

Wow, some of you are dense.
    If it’s cold, windy and rainy, then they..
    wait for it..
    wait…
    close the doors.
    Minds blown.

9. Posted by formidable doer of the nasty

It’s OK, Futurist. For people like you there’s a Microsoft Store in the Westfield center and service is amazingly quick. Definitely no lines, ever.

10. Posted by John

Yes, windy cold San Francisco. It doesn’t seem likely that they will really want to have these doors open very much. Also, that is a very busy and noisy corner from the point of view of automobile and bus traffic. It really seems impractical from that standpoint. But it is one of those grand kinetic gestures so many architects depict knowing full well that in the end it will get watered down or deleted by end of construction due to practicality and cost.

11. Posted by Wai Yip Tung

I am curious. Is the roof going to hold up? There is no column or wall to support it.

12. Posted by amused

No. The roof will certainly collapse. That’s why you hire Foster + Partners as your architects. To ensure disaster. Clearly, that’s Apple’s goal here.
    This building is beautiful, and I am glad the people who prefer Android will keep out.

13. Posted by emanon

Please tell me that comment about the roof was meant in jest.

14. Posted by emanon

To clarify, my reference was to the roof comment submitted by Wai. (And thank you amused!)

15. Posted by Wai Yip Tung

It was a causal comment. I appreciate people for enlighten my engineering knowledge.

16. Posted by Futurist

Causal?
    or Casual?

17. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

The city should require store frontage replace that blank wall along Stockton. It would only require reallocating the rightmost sliver of the building, barely a loss of retail floorspace on the main Apple store.
    Erecting a huge blank wall in a busy area like Union Square is a travesty.
    Otherwise I like the rest of this project.

18. Posted by ciparis

Given the big Levi’s building this is replacing, I don’t see how anyone could fail to appreciate the improvement.

19. Posted by Jlasf

As others noted before, when the big doors are closed, there are two doors in the non-moving panels on the left and right sides. If you look closely, you can see them illustrated.
    How about calling the giant doors, iOpeners?
    When they are open, however, it might turn into an iRoost for pigeons.

20. Posted by pie-eater

I think the “monolithic hunk of stone” is cladding over the Hyatt’s delivery entrance and other functional spaces. Not much Apple can do about that. SFGate says “The hotel’s ballroom and conference rooms will remain under the new store.”