January 28, 2014

Secluded Stanyan Street (Steps) Home Is Listed Anew

1335%20Stanyan%20Aerial.gif

Abutting the Mt. Sutro Open Space Reserve, the only way to reach the Clarendon Heights home at 1335 Stanyan is by way of Clarendon and then down the Stanyan Street Steps.

1335%20Stanyan.jpg

But once you reach the secluded home in the city which was designed by Lun Chan, you’ll find a light-filled open interior with an enclosed lap pool and views across Cole Valley.

1335%20Stanyan%20Living.jpg

Not to mention a couple of rather nice little decks on which to relax after your trek:

1335%20Stanyan%20Deck.jpg

Listed for $3,498,000 this past July, reduced three times, and then withdrawn from the MLS in November, the 3,877 square foot home has been listed anew for $2,595,000, the same price at which it was last listed.

∙ Listing: 1335 Stanyan Street (5/3) 3,877 sqft - $2,595,000 [clarendon98point5.com]

First Published: January 28, 2014 12:00 PM

On street parking half a block away up the hill...

Posted by: puffington at January 28, 2014 12:35 PM

After carrying things up and down the hillside stairs it must feel great to just jump into that pool.

Posted by: redseca2 at January 28, 2014 1:23 PM

I've lived in Cole Valley for 20 years and not aware of any steps on Stanyan above Belgrave. Is this house accessible only from Clarendon? I know that there is a sign at the top of Clarendon that refers to addresses on Stanyan that can only be accessed from Clarendon - wonder if this is one of them. I don't think any stairs go all the way from Clarendon to Stanyan/Belgrave.

[Editor's Note: Wonder no longer, it is.]

Posted by: Mickey at January 28, 2014 1:49 PM

Stanyan peters out halfway down to Belgravia on all current maps.

I recall exploring that route at least 10 years ago and being forced to backtrack. I wonder what the history is here because the City hates to surrender a right of way (You can even see the lines of trees in the Panhandle stop at each cross street).

The nearest work around is to continue west on Clarendon to Johnson Drive and go right, where a trail to the right connects with Belgravia.

Posted by: redseca2 at January 28, 2014 2:07 PM

Gorgeous home, but I can see that it hasn't sold due to lack of parking and access issues. But I love it. The right buyer can probably get this for a great price.

Posted by: Mark F. at January 28, 2014 2:26 PM

If you can afford this house you can afford to pay for grocery delivery. I love it.

Posted by: formidable doer of the nasty at January 28, 2014 5:43 PM

I wonder if the indoor pool adds value, or subtracts it....

Posted by: around1905 at January 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Tahoe and City in one. Love it!

Posted by: sf at January 28, 2014 9:34 PM

It's like living on the Filbert Steps on Telegraph Hill. I know people who live there and don't seem to mind the walk. For me, it would be a pain to trudge up and down in the rain. Clearly, this house has the same trade-off. It's a great house, but....

Posted by: jlasf at January 28, 2014 10:30 PM

How does your contractor get building materials to this site? What happens when you need a new refrigerator? Does it have to come up the stairs/walkway on a dolly? It is a very nice house, but the accessibility issues are too much for me.

Posted by: SF Citizen at January 29, 2014 6:31 AM

Sherpas

Posted by: diemos at January 29, 2014 7:40 AM

Ever been to Venice? Accessibility issues can be solved -- in the case of Venice, everything moves around by hand. The old way. It's possible, and from the owner's perspective, quite easy. You just hire a ton of strong guys to move your stuff around. It costs more... but in many ways, it's better. The other 99.9% of the time you are surrounded by peace and quiet and car-free. Liberating.

I absolutely love this place; I may even talk my wife into visiting the open house when one happens. I can't afford it, but ...

Posted by: Jimmy (not a Real San Franciscan (TM)) at January 29, 2014 9:23 AM

If you look closely at construction sites, almost all materials are essentially moved by hand in the last few feet. I think that pouring concrete for a proper foundation would be the main challenge in all of this. How do you bring fresh concrete in a good enough flow? I'd be curious to know how you can pull it off.

Posted by: lol at January 29, 2014 9:42 AM

What if there is a fire? Do firemen hand deliver buckets of water 500 feet away from the street?

Posted by: sf at January 29, 2014 10:00 AM

How do they get water? The pump it in hoses. The usual way.

Posted by: Jimmy (not a Real San Franciscan (TM)) at January 29, 2014 10:12 AM

Cripes, some of you people really sound like you'd be happier in Nebraska where your Rascal can take you everywhere. It's just stairs! I have 45 steps (30 down, 15 up) from the street to my front door and I've had numerous appliances and large pieces of furniture delivered with no problems. I also manage to drag cases of Pellegrino home from Costco without dying. Last place I lived was on an 18% grade and I was on the 4th floor of an old building with no elevator. My neighbor was 80 and he made it down and up just fine every day. If this place has "accessibility issues" for you then you need to examine your lifestyle.

Posted by: formidable doer of the nasty at January 29, 2014 12:02 PM

"I think that pouring concrete for a proper foundation would be the main challenge in all of this."

Concrete can be delivered through tubes via Schwing boom pumps. Hopefully there's a Schwing unit in the area with a boom long enough to deliver to this site. Once the concrete is poured, you bring in a Wacker vibrator to remove the voids.

Got that? Schwing first, then Wacker.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at January 29, 2014 12:13 PM

it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Schwing

Posted by: lol at January 29, 2014 2:01 PM

Its not the stairs, that's part of San Fransisco, its the lack of parking that is driving the price.

Posted by: GetOffTheIvy at January 29, 2014 6:34 PM

Lack of parking is also part of San Francisco. At this price point though...

Posted by: latitude at January 29, 2014 11:45 PM

Depends on how difficult street parking is (on Clarendon near the stairway). I'm sure it's much easier than in Russian Hill or Telegraph Hill where you also frequently see units in this price range with no parking.

Posted by: formidable doer of the nasty at January 30, 2014 7:36 AM

The list price for 1335 Stanyan Street has been reduced $145,000 (6%), now asking $2,450,000.

Posted by: SocketSite at March 19, 2014 11:28 AM