1422%20Rhode%20Island.jpg
Purchased as a “classic” two-bedroom, one-bath home of 1,095 square feet with “separate living and dining rooms…and [a] bonus room downstairs” for $820,000 four months ago, 1422 Rhode Island is already back on the market for $1,495,000 as a “fully renovated 4 bed/3.5 bath beauty.”
1422%20Rhode%20Island%20Great%20Room.jpg
A great room encompasses the living room, dining room, den and kitchen, “the highlight” of the now 2,250 square foot Potrero Hill home according to its listing.

1422%20Rhode%20Island%20Kitchen.jpg
Two new bedrooms and baths have replaced the bonus room and a bit of the garage below.
∙ Listing: 1422 Rhode Island (4/3.5) 2,250 sqft – $1,495,000 [tppsf.com]

1. Posted by Joshua

That fireplace “wall” needs to go. If you’re going to make a centerpiece in the room/home, at least make it attractive.

2. Posted by mikey woodz

3. Posted by PotreroResident

“ugly location….armpit of potrero right near the projects, will be interesting to see how this goes.”
    That is an acurate statement. That house is right in the ghetto part of PH. If this sells for the list price, then I know we have reached a peak in the real estate market.

4. Posted by nancydrew99

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways…
    1) grey walls
    2) canned lights
    3) uber/over modernized kitchen
    4) no walls – no sound barriers
    5) worst fireplace surround ever
    6) location is terrible.
    Guess I won’t be buying it.

5. Posted by emanon

I know I know I know, to each his own. But reading socketsite I continue to be completely dumbfounded by what folks are willing to pay for a San Francisco address. Almost 1.5 million dollars for an old house next to an ugly apartment building in a marginal neighborhood a block from an 8-lane freeway!?!? If I bought this house I’d be too embarrassed to let anyone know what I paid. (Let the flaming begin.)

6. Posted by Mark

Lol. In this area of PH? To add to what was said in an earlier comment “if this sells for the list price”…then people are completely nuts and will pay anything in any crappy part of the city just to say they live in SF. It’s all yours.

7. Posted by formidable doer of the nasty

I bet the agent is really talking up that planned redevelopment of the projects. And who knows, maybe in a few years you won’t need bulletproof windows to live in this location. Seems like a little targeted law enforcement would have been an easier and cheaper solution, but OK, let’s wait for the bulldozers to do the job.

8. Posted by BobN

The lack of a bowling lane seems like a missed opportunity…

9. Posted by Fishchum

Let’s ease up on “this is the ghetto section of PH”. I have friends who literally have lived down the street for years with 2 kids and they’ve never once had an incident.

10. Posted by formidable doer of the nasty

Fishchum, so I guess those “urgent alerts” about criminal activity in progress (usually shootings, muggings or car chases) I get through Nextdoor at least twice a week are all made up. Damn, what a bunch of pranksters those south slope residents are. I’ve totally been falling for it.

11. Posted by Dan

I don’t hate this house. It is 2 blocks from the projects (as is much of Potrero Hill) and a block from the freeway. There is just one large common area, but privacy in the bedrooms and downstairs. It is a very quick commute to South SF biotech from this house, and not it is not far to 24th Street restaurants.

12. Posted by Mark

For a quick second I thought this was a West Elm outlet store.

13. Posted by Fishchum

FDOTN – I’m not saying this is a “great” part of PH, and I’m sure those alerts you get are all real. I’m just assuming that most of the comments made about the neighborhood are from people who don’t live there and just see the projects a few blocks away on a map and automatically assume this street is some kind of war zone.

14. Posted by observant neighbor

I don’t see this as a terrible location. You’re right by a great city park (my kids love it), you’re an easy walk from the “new” restaurant/boutique corridor along 24th St (well on its way to becoming a more attractive version of Valencia St.), and you’re two blocks from a soon-to-be-remodeled public school with an outstanding Mandarin immersion track. I prefer the inner Mish but this is not bad at all.

15. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

“Luxury uber-modern open plan shotgun shack”

16. Posted by noe mom

I think the bowling alley comment nailed it. But I know of fixer uppers selling for 1.2 in other parts of the City so maybe this is a, ahem, “bargain”. I just hope whoever buys it will be happy. Nice view out the back, just it is all becoming so obviously generic. I am glad they maintained the original facade except for the garage door.

17. Posted by emanon

“but this is not bad at all” That’s the best you can say after spending 1.5 million dollars?

18. Posted by emanon

Just to be clear, I’m not ragging on the neighborhood but the cost of the house in said neighborhood.

19. Posted by Exbernaler

Plus, the only kitchen sink is on the island. Horrible.

20. Posted by Ta hoe

Granted, not an ideal location, but wow, lots of haters here. If you do that math on 20% down at 3% on a $1.2MM mortgage, that is a monthly IO payment of $3,000 + $1,500 in taxes, and $300 in insurance, it all pencils vs. what you have to pay in rent for a decent 2-3 bedroom. Very livable.

21. Posted by soccermom

Why would anyone with a brain show a project here for the peanut gallery?

22. Posted by james jr

I like can lights.

23. Posted by Sausalito_res

Depressingly bland. I agree with the Dwell/West Elm comments.
    For less money, you could buy this (click on name) about a mile away. I’m not that familiar with the ‘hood and can’t compare the two locations (except the other home appears to be closer to services and amenities).
    The price, # of bedrooms,and square feet are very similar but the design sense and quality of the other home are much better.

24. Posted by Fishchum

Sausalito_Res, that other home is closer to the freeway, I believe. It’s also really disjointed between the interiors of the rooms up front and back. At least this place has a little more of a “uniform” feel to it.

25. Posted by Lori

I can’t comment to the neighborhood because I don’t know it well, but I don’t mind the decor staging and colors. I think it looks pretty and tranquil. West Elm definitely, but I think it’s well put together.

26. Posted by Boo

How about this as a comp? http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/11-Wright-St-94110/home/1993755
    It’s Bernal but it has a similar relationship to it’s surroundings.. on a hill, near major highway, 24th Street retail. No projects but it does have a homeless camp down the hill. But I do have to disagree with observant neighbor on the progress of 24th Street. It has some work to do before it’s Valencia. It’s not very friendly down there at night. But there are some nice coffee shops and restaurants and very good ice cream and donuts!

27. Posted by NoeValleyJim

I would rather live in a box in the park than in that other house on 2200 Mariposa listed as a comp. I can’t imagine having a freeway right across from your front yard like that.
    I am up on the hill quite a bit and I think that the location of this property is fine. It probably has a bit of noise but it probably has less crime than most of The Mission.
    I think the price is nuts, but I feel that way about everything in San Francisco right now. You can buy a 1300 sq ft 2/1 in Noe for the same price as this house. They seem about the same value to me.

28. Posted by EH

LOL, anybody who thinks this is a dangerous area should move to Alamo.

29. Posted by formidable doer of the nasty

Fishchum, I’m sure you’re right that some people are judging the neighborhood by looking at a map rather than real first-hand experience. But in this case that judgment is unfortunately pretty accurate. LIke I said, it could/should/might all be better in a few years when they bulldoze the projects, and I think the seller is trying to capitalize on that upside. Which is what I would do too, so it’s all good.

30. Posted by mikey woodz

^Ta hoe I need your mortgage broker if he is throwing out 3% jumbo loans…..

31. Posted by PDSF

“I don’t see this as a terrible location. You’re right by a great city park (my kids love it), you’re an easy walk from the “new” restaurant/boutique corridor along 24th St (well on its way to becoming a more attractive version of Valencia St.)”
    But you have to walk way around on the 23rd St. bridge to get there, right past SF General which is not pleasant at all. To the south are warehouses, dead end streets and freeway overpasses–generally impassable and not pedestrian friendly.

32. Posted by AnotherArchitect

Another example of the fine “taste” and “sophistication” San Francisco prides itself and tells itself it is in possession of. That fireplace design may be the worst fireplace I have seen on this site, and this remodel is further proof that the better designed homes and remodels now exist in Southern California. Who would have thought?!

33. Posted by lark

I think it’s soulless and bland. It’s selling ‘urban style’ to a suburban buyer (engineer). These developers have no desire to be a part of San Francisco. This is pure cultural homogenization and the total wipe out of the original interior is an expression of that.

34. Posted by lurcher

2130 24th Street sold for $1.45M on 11/27. I was surprised. It’s up the hill from this property, but still on the “ghetto” side of Potrero (where I live, and love it). The BS from the projects doesn’t confine itself to the south side.

35. Posted by Roland

Those deriding the location cannot be very familiar with the neighborhood. I lived four years on Carolina St. in closer physical proximity than this property and we never once made aware of the presence of “the projects” by anything that happened in the neighborhood.
    This property is actually well-situated on a block you will only find in San Francisco.

36. Posted by gentrified is a dirty word for clean

Not to pollute this argument with facts but… http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/sanfrancisco
    Yes, this part of Pot Hill has more crime (especially violent crime) than the North Slope. But it has less crime than most of the adjacent Pission.

37. Posted by reanto39

38. Posted by BigRon

“What I keep seeing with these East Bay developers, like Mr Bahrami, is they buy then spend huge on the remodel – not getting it at all about SF’s micro-districts, and how much difference a block makes to what you can hope to sell for – then they slap it on for some insane price, and it sells for even more! Hmph.”
    So is it that the developers don’t ‘get it,’ or you don’t get it?

39. Posted by Dan

Sold, for $1,610,000.

40. Posted by Sunsetlover

how did they get the permits, expansion and do all the work in 3 months?!?