January 7, 2014

Cathedral Hill Demolition Watch And Pictorial Progress Report

Having been chipping away at the back of the old Jack Tar/Cathedral Hill Hotel, bulldozing the interior, and stripping the facade from the southern portion of the building, a plugged-in tipster reports the demolition of the hotel has entered a new phase with the superstructure now being jack hammered away in order to make room for CPMC’s Cathedral Hill Medical Center to rise.

As the hotel looked two months ago (click any of the images to enlarge):

First Published: January 7, 2014 11:00 AM

Awesome. The hospital is going to be beautiful (I think...I hope) and will make me even more proud to be a SF-an. CPMC and UCSF are amazing institutions and we're all so lucky to have them so close-by!

Posted by: Anna at January 7, 2014 12:53 PM

I know I'm in a small minority, but I liked that building. How it interfaced with Van Ness was a pity, but the building itself was OK.

Posted by: BobN at January 7, 2014 3:16 PM

Wasn't there a penthouse apartment all sealed up still full of original furnishings?

Posted by: Adam at January 7, 2014 4:47 PM

I liked the Jack Tar Hotel when I was a boy, because it looked like the buildings I used to make with my Kenner Set!

Posted by: Patrick at January 7, 2014 5:28 PM

Goodbye ol friend...I actually liked this building...such a cool era, most hate it, I wasn't one of them.

Posted by: Brian at January 8, 2014 10:02 AM

I also had great fun with a Kenner Set as a kid (along with Licoln Logs and Legos) and similar memories of the Jack Tar. Everytime I saw the hotel I used to think "I could build that...."

Posted by: emanon at January 8, 2014 10:38 AM

My favorite part was tearing down the buildings I built with my legos. Won't miss this one, just as I won't miss all the blocky lego buildings I destroyed.

Posted by: Rillion at January 8, 2014 11:43 AM