December 17, 2013

Chef Tyler Florence’s "Creek House" On The Menu In Mill Valley

190%20Cascade%20Drive.jpg

Celebrity chef Tyler Florence's cottage is on the market for $1,995,000 in Mill Valley.

Tyler%20Florence%27s%20Kitchen%202.jpg

Originally constructed in 1926, the Cascade Drive "Creek House" has been renovated with designer finishes throughout, including a true chef’s kitchen with concrete and oyster shell counters; a butcher block insert for cutting; and Viking appliances (including a full-sized wine refrigerator).

Tyler%20Florence%27s%20Kitchen.jpg

There's a Heath tile backsplash over the range and a Heath-tiled bathroom below:

190%20Cascade%20Drive%20Bath.jpg

And yes, there is a garden for fresh vegetables (and a chicken coop) out back.

∙ Listing: 190 Cascade Drive, Mill Valley (5/2) 2,523 sqft - $1,995,000 [vintagecreekhouse.com]

First Published: December 17, 2013 7:00 AM

The interior isn't my cup of tea but the exterior and setting are beautiful.

Posted by: wc1 at December 17, 2013 9:22 AM

It is nice...should be in a movie.

Posted by: noe mom at December 17, 2013 10:28 AM

You can hardly call 2,500 sq ft a "cottage" (correct me, Futurist, if I'm wrong, because I know you will), but for nearly $2M I'd take it over something in SF.

Posted by: Mark at December 17, 2013 11:09 AM

Its nice to see the actual kitchen of a professional chef as a counterbalance to the ersatz "Chef's kitchens" that are found in the recent crop of $2M+ spec homes. No center island, no pot filler, no "wall of cabinets", etc.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at December 17, 2013 11:19 AM

MoD, it does look as though he actually set it up for cooking. I've heard that professional chefs often prefer not to cook at home.

Posted by: Kenz at December 17, 2013 11:34 AM

Wow, absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it, except for the chickens. I'd snatch it up in a second if I could talk my husband into moving out of the city. I don't think this will be on the market long.

Posted by: SF Dog Owner at December 17, 2013 11:42 AM

As a classically trained chef myself, I love this kitchen. I'll take a functional galley kitchen over one with a clunky center island any day. I'm not saying islands aren't without purpose...just not for my prep/cook style. Overall, a well appointed home.

Posted by: Mark at December 17, 2013 12:10 PM

It's a beautiful "cottage" design and the kitchen bears the hallmark of a professional cook. But at the same, there are some nice design touches, like those concrete counters with the embedded shells and the ogee edge. The kids bunks with the view outside are pretty sweet.

I am surprised, though, at the lack of overhead ventilation for a stove of that size. If there is a downdraft, those tend to be very inefficient and "bend" the flame.

Posted by: Gur at December 17, 2013 12:19 PM

Posted by: SocketSite at January 2, 2014 7:52 AM

We went to the open house this past Sunday. Lovely old house with some nice renovations especially the kitchen. Short on living areas and big on bedrooms. The living room was quite small and a good portion of the house is basement level. One thing concerning was that we heard the realtor holding the open house say to someone that a recent survey shows that the neighbours property line goes right up to the house's foundation. The realtor dismissed it as "what are they going to do about now?". I thought it was a bit concerning.

Posted by: Michael at January 6, 2014 6:56 PM