1050%20Filbert%20Living.jpg
While words like “chefs” and “gourmet” and “magnificent” are all too liberally thrown about, there are times when a listing is actually understated.
1050%20Filbert%20Kitchen.jpg
Hidden behind its two car garage, 1050 Filbert was remodeled in 2004. And while neither “gourmet” nor “magnificent” are mentioned in its listing, they are deserved:

1050%20Filbert%20Kitchen%20and%20Entry.jpg
Credit Robert A.M. Stern Architects for the design and Ryan for the construction.
1050%20Filbert%20Pantry.jpg
∙ Listing: 1050 Filbert (3/3.5) – $4,700,000 [1050filbert.com]

1. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Ironically this kitchen has the same two-piece “one size fits all” hood duct enclosure that I complained looked cheap in the previous article. But this time it looks to be installed with more care so it doesn’t look so cheesy.
    Is that counter surface continuously welded stainless ? Sweet ! I’d enjoy working in either of these kitchens.
    My only nitpick is how that clock is staged over the hood in the main kitchen. It is too big for that space. Go about 20% smaller.

2. Posted by HillDweller

This was my first apartment in San Francisco when I moved here in 1987. It was a 2 unit building then and very Tales of the City. I rode out the ’89 quake in the lower studio then moved into the upstairs 2 bedroom. This house comes with two crazy tenants in the building next door. All these years later they are still there.

3. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Crazy as in fun-crazy? Or annoying-crazy?

4. Posted by HillDweller

Crazy as in screaming. Crazy as in wanting you to negotiate all those steps in the dark because the landscape lights bother them. Crazy as in using the eggs from the birds they breed to egg your car. Crazy as having your car ticketed for parking in your own driveway.

5. Posted by MarinaBoy

This is one unit now correct? I love the house, so not what you expect from the street.

6. Posted by soccermom

“Crazy as in using the eggs from the birds they breed to egg your car.”
    This line is the highlight of my socketsite week.

7. Posted by Eric Friedman

I’m happy to report that the crazy neighbors have moved on. All you can hear is occasional parrots, and sometimes the seals from Pier 39.

8. Posted by around1905

Ahhh…. Robert Stern…. One of the few starchitects who understands how classical details work.
    Those little wingwalls between the kitchen and the living room that become columns holding up an architrave which, on the adjacent wall, probably carries the vent ducting. Just simplified enough to be modern but obeying all the classical rules.
    Despite being the dean of an architecture school at a major university, he seems to have had scant influence on the present dwellified generation of architects who have no clue and don’t even know that they have no clue…

9. Posted by dorothy

so here’s a question for the realtors in the group — if i am a seller and i have a ‘crazy’ neighbor similar to the one referenced above, am i required to disclose it?

10. Posted by ERG

@dorothy Too late – someone else already did! Must stink for the person listing this property. I’d stay away from even the nicest property if I knew there would be no peace from my neighbors.
    [Editor's Note: See Eric's comment above.]

11. Posted by jack

@around1905
    Curious: which picture(s) are you referring to re: the wingwall, architrave, and obeying the classical rules?
    Thanks.

12. Posted by DanRH

and what’s a wingwall? I googled it but get references to bridges / outside items…
    around1905, thanks. continue with the lesson as I like it.

13. Posted by jlasf

Funny, I live around the corner, but had never even noticed the house there. As for Stern, I still think that he is the Ralph Lauren of architecture. Beautifully executed re-working of past ideas.

14. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

I’d still like to know the answer to Dorothy’s question. Are sellers required to disclose nuisance neighbors?

15. Posted by Bruce

I think this a beautiful property. While I’m not exactly offended by staging (at least when it’s done well), it certainly seems to me that this is simply the way the current owners live. Someone has great taste.

16. Posted by around1905

jack and DanRH,
    By wingwall I mean a short stub of a wall that sticks in from a main wall. If you have a big, long room that you want to feel open but still read as two rooms, you can do this with a pair of wingwalls. Mr. Stern went one better and made them suggest columns holding up a ‘beam’ (the architrave). They are located between the kitchen and living room in the top photo above.

17. Posted by Chubrock

I am sorry but I do not get this property at all. No curb appeal. Weird use of the lot. Not usable outdoor space. No view. Bad layout. Yes the kitchen is cool, but it is next to a playground and the MB feels like you are sleeping in a basement. Am I missing something?

18. Posted by SocketSite

The list price for 1050 Filbert has just been reduced $750,000 (16 percent), now asking $3,950,000.

19. Posted by SocketSite

The list price for 1050 Filbert has just been reduced another $155,000 (4 percent), now asking $3,795,000, nearly a million dollars less than its original list price.

20. Posted by SocketSite

The sale of 1050 Filbert closed escrow today with a reported contract price of $3,500,000.
    While the sale price is 26 percent under original list, having been reduced to $3,795,000 in June, it’s officially 8 percent under asking according to industry stats.