February 20, 2013

A Mediterranean Makeover And A New Electric Versus Gas Stove

49%20Divisadero%20Before.jpg

Purchased for $1,995,000 in August of 2010 having sold for $2,000,000 in 2005, the Spanish Mediterranean bones of 49 Divisadero Street have since been made-over.

49%20Divisadero%20After.jpg

A bedroom and bath have been added, at least to the new listing for $2,750,000, and the existing baths were remodeled, the master of which features radiant heated floors.

49%20Divisadero%20Bathroom.jpg

The kitchen which had been sporting a Viking gas range and granite countertops now features a Gaggenau electric cooktop, marble counters, and access to the patio:

49%20Divisadero%20Kitchen%20After.jpg

As the kitchen looked before:

49%20Divisadero%20Kitchen%20Before.jpg

Perhaps it's time to revist our Gas Versus Electric In The Kitchen smackdown.

∙ Listing: 49 Divisadero (4/4) - $2,750,000 [zephyrsf.com]
A SocketSite Smackdown: Gas Versus Electric In The Kitchen [SocketSite]

First Published: February 20, 2013 1:00 PM

Well after the gas pipe break on 24th street today I guess this change from gas to electric is in keeping with current headlines. BTW- After the 89 earthquake those of us with gas ranges were out of luck in Cow Hollow as gas service was not restored for more than two months while electric service was back up within 24 hours. We had a gas water heater and I learned to "embrace" taking a cold shower as well for almost 10 weeks.

Posted by: Morgan at February 20, 2013 1:20 PM

I'm for gas almost anywhere it can be used. Oven, range, water heater, dryer, but not the fireplace. But then I've never experienced an extended outage like Morgan. I get electrical outages frequently though usually never lasting long enough to melt the contents of the freezer.

I once toured a house near the base of Potrero's north slope that must have been owned by someone with a natural gas phobia. Everything was electric and the original gas supply had been capped off. There were massive built-in radiant space heaters in the living room. The whole house had been rewired with an extensive supplemental electrical supply. Metal conduit and outlet boxes tacked to the wall. Quite a macho place. Then I noticed a framed photo on the wall of a building burning. It was probably caused by a gas fire.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at February 20, 2013 1:50 PM

Induction cooktops is the way to go. Gas is obsolete, dirty and dangerous.

Posted by: formidable doer of the nasty at February 20, 2013 2:10 PM

I still have a gas range and prefer it, but just wanted people to be aware that after a major earthquake, natural gas is usually the last service to be restored.

The high pressure gas break today near 24th and Bryant reminded me of some of the problems that happened in San Francisco during the 89 earthquake, especially in the Marina.

Posted by: Morgan at February 20, 2013 2:13 PM

I wasn't sure which pic was the before and the after of the facade.

Many older homes in SF don't have the amperage to run all electric utilities.

Posted by: eddy at February 20, 2013 2:39 PM

Love: the bathroom, especially the shower
Dislike: new cooktop (my preference is gas)
Like: new French doors in kitchen
Dislike: camera angle of the new kitchen doesn't do the room justice

Posted by: Mark at February 20, 2013 4:11 PM

It goes like this:

induction > gas > electric

People like to see and feel their heat source, so gas has visceral appeal. I used to have induction. I moved, and now have gas. I'd like to switch. The wife kiboshed it.

But calling a Gaggenau electric cooktop "electric" is misleading.

Posted by: amused at February 20, 2013 7:56 PM

... and of course I meant "Gaggenau induction cooktop"

Posted by: amused at February 20, 2013 7:58 PM

Isn't this house overpriced for a relatively funky neighborhood?

Posted by: New To Neighborhood at February 20, 2013 9:54 PM

Not a funky neighborhood at all. It's actually pretty central and residential, but well hidden. Houses on the street are pretty nice and well maintained. This is not the busy car-plagued side of Divisadero and there's very little car traffic there. The 11M House on Buena Vista and Duboce featured earlier is actually 2 short blocks up.

Posted by: lol at February 20, 2013 10:50 PM

Still.. with the description of houses on the block being "pretty nice" ..while not funky it seems that a $2.75 million house is "out of place" for the neighborhood. Is it changing?

Posted by: New To Neighborhood at February 21, 2013 3:28 AM

Odd. Bowling just came to mind.

Posted by: BobN at February 21, 2013 9:17 AM

Am I the only one that thinks the 'old kitchen' looks richer, flows better and has better quality finishes than the 80's inspired kitchen with white glossy cabinets and black granite that followed ?

Posted by: radar at February 21, 2013 10:14 AM

New to N: "Funky" is not a term that comes to mind for this neighborhood. You should try walking or driving down this stretch of Divisadero sometime (between 14th & Duboce) before you condemn it to funkiness. Granted, it's not Cow Hollow, but it's still very sweet and if you've got kids, not far from two private schools and a public school down the street. Almost no thru-traffic.

Looking over the permit history, I don't see that a bedroom has been added, although it seems the ground floor has been re-configured.

Posted by: Rocco at February 21, 2013 12:31 PM

Yup, one of the nearby private schools referenced is SFFriends (on 14 & Valencia) which is self-admittedly in the hood (per their mission), so not sure this makes the location of this house any better ...I do think the locale is dodgy for almost $3 million home.

Posted by: tomstone at February 21, 2013 1:40 PM

disregard my comment as I now see the 'old kitchen' is the 'new kitchen'..........my bad.

Posted by: radar at February 21, 2013 9:05 PM

Sold: $2,760,000

Another micro hood heating up.

Posted by: eddy at March 14, 2013 4:43 PM

Sold for $2.76m

Posted by: Denis at March 14, 2013 4:44 PM

another Wow. Imagine if this were higher up the hill with views, a better floor plan and a yard. Not sure what this hot microhood is, but it is D5 and that is all that matters on the thermometer.

Posted by: sparky*b at March 14, 2013 9:25 PM