October 10, 2012

San Francisco's First Target Has Opened Its Doors

San Franciscio City Target (www.SocketSite.com)

While the official Grand Opening isn't until this Sunday, San Francisco’s first Target at Fourth and Mission, an 85,000 square foot "CityTarget" with merchandise tailored for city-dwellers, including fresh groceries, opened its doors at 7am this morning.

The San Francsico CityTarget's store layout and offerings (click map to enlarge):

Go bananas, they're $.24 a piece. And don't forget the milk.

San Francisco CityTarget Grocery Section (www.SocketSite.com)

Metreon 1.5 Opens Tomorrow (2.0 And Target In October) [SocketSite]
Target + Metreon = (Twenty-Two Foot) Bull's-Eye In 2012 [SocketSite]

First Published: October 10, 2012 7:00 AM

WooHoo!!! Add this to the Lowes on Bayshore and I ever have to go to Daly City again!

Posted by: Steve at October 10, 2012 9:14 AM

Great news. No more trips to Serramonte!

Posted by: Willow at October 10, 2012 9:15 AM

SF lost a lot of retail during the financial implosion. Target and Uniqlo opening major new stores downtown within a few days of one another is one of those tacit indicators that the economy is once again picking up steam.

Posted by: Urbanite at October 10, 2012 9:23 AM

I'll still drive 15 minutes to the Target in Colma. Because it has bags. And a Sheriff who isn't a convicted wife-beater.

Posted by: jc at October 10, 2012 9:26 AM

JC:
That would be awesome. Please do. And if you can't shop in a City with a wife beating Sheriff, surely you could not live here either. And take your cousins with you too. Yay, SF Target!!

Posted by: vv at October 10, 2012 9:34 AM

I'd rather have a walmart - cheaper and better. But this is still a good addition.

Posted by: anon at October 10, 2012 9:46 AM

I have to wonder which parking lot will be worse...the Colma Target or Metreon...

Why can't they put a Target in Bay View next to Lowes...and a TJ's too while they are at it.....

Posted by: Poor in Pac Heights at October 10, 2012 10:01 AM

Awesome! I didn't think it was opening until this weekend. I'll swing by this afternoon and go bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Posted by: Gwen at October 10, 2012 10:10 AM

Cool, but I'm with JC.

I have no inclination to pay any additional taxes to the city of SF. Not to mention Serramonte has free parking, a BevMo and a sports store that sells ammo!

Posted by: anon at October 10, 2012 10:24 AM

I couldn't be happier. LOVE Target. It's about time the city added some shopping that isn't only for the 1%.

Posted by: james at October 10, 2012 10:39 AM

With gas at $4 a gallon, I think if you drive to Colma to avoid a city tax, you might be paying the same amount anyway.

Posted by: James at October 10, 2012 11:02 AM

Target's association with SF small business is brilliant and I hope clears the way for this retail powerhouse to invite other small SF enterprises in on a national scale.

That said, unless I'm on foot -- I would never consider going down there to shop -- the whole area (and that dark parking garage) feels claustrophobic, dark and uncomfortable, and I avoid it unless I'm at an event.

Posted by: Invented at October 10, 2012 11:03 AM

As far as outrage over paying for shopping bags in SF, the intent of the law is to reduce plastic in landfill (which I believe is something like 40% of landfill) What is wrong with that? I am in favor of carrying your own canvas or other bag. The US is the most wasteful country on the planet. Get over your addition to plastic bags - with all of the things to get upset about in our society, this should not be on the lst.

Posted by: Russian Hill Dweller at October 10, 2012 11:23 AM

Milk $4.49 gallon, eggs 1.69 dozen, produce looks decent but small selection.

Posted by: CH at October 10, 2012 11:43 AM

Actually takes less time to drive to Daly City and park than to deal with the SF downtown mess.
And no, I don't live there. Your convicted wife beating sheriff being reinstated is one of many good reasons to leave that city. The mentality there is sick.

Posted by: sf at October 10, 2012 1:10 PM

Nice! We're now on par with Fresno.

Posted by: taco taco at October 10, 2012 1:24 PM

I'll suggest to the ones who'd rather shop/pay taxes/live(!) in Colma to please express their views on the Colma Real Estate blogs.

Here is a quick non-exhaustive list:

www.cypresslawn.com
www.holycrosscemeteries.com/locations/colma.htm
www.woodlawncolma.com
www.italiancemetery.com

There's even a PET Real Estate site!

www.petsrest.com

And please come back in a few days to tell us what it looks like. Not many Nymbis to complain about building heights there I assume. Any interesting buys? Greenery?

Posted by: lol at October 10, 2012 1:41 PM

Typo: Nimby's in Colma are called NimGy's

Posted by: lol at October 10, 2012 1:43 PM

Thank you lol. That was awesome.

As someone who lives in SF and isn't afraid of walking a few blocks or parking in "scary" garages, I'm happy there's a new Target in town.

I'll probably go there with my extra large backpack tomorrow.

Yes our city is a near lunatic asylum, but it really isn't that hard to deal with and it's far better than the dirt road in Pennsylvania that I grew up on.

Posted by: frog at October 10, 2012 2:19 PM

@sf. Do you really think it is easier for someone who works or lives within walking distance from this location to drive to Colma? What if they live in the East Bay and work near this location? Why would it be quicker to drive to Colma? Or what about the people that live within a short MUNI or BART ride.

Oh, wait... you think everything is about you, don't you. That is a very serious disability and I wish you the best dealing with that. I can see you have a severe case. You actually believe we care what you think about our sheriff. Don't give up all hope though. I've seen grade school children overcome that issue so I know it can be done. Perhaps you can visit with a 4th grade class and get some pointers from the children or at least form a little support group. Or you can just take your ball and go home.

Posted by: Boo at October 10, 2012 3:42 PM

I don't understand people's love of Target. As for convenience (and better prices on the same products), Amazon always wins.

Posted by: shza at October 10, 2012 5:11 PM

@Boo

2 paragraphs and a plethora of personal insults means you don't care? Ironic.

Through the looking glass.

Posted by: sf at October 10, 2012 6:06 PM

Bananas are 19 cents each at TJ's. Looks like Target's prices aren't all that great.

Posted by: Rillion at October 11, 2012 9:47 AM

@sf

When you dropped the insult about the whole City's mentality I realized you were a self absorbed wind bag. Which, I admit, I felt the need to respond to because sometimes folks like you don't realize they can't see past their own reflection. So I don't really care about your opinion, because as I said, you're full of hot air. But I do care about you. I hope you get better. And perhaps insulting you is not the best way to help. So I apologize.

I like the idea of a Target in that location. It will be convenient for many which is the goal. The remodel of that building is an improvement. In the former configuration it was just a long dead block. Opening up street front retail is an improvement on 4th. And having the food court dining with views of the park should be cool too. I would imagine people working in the area will now view it as an option for lunch when they previously hadn't.

Posted by: Boo at October 11, 2012 10:29 AM

Bananas are 25c a POUND at Mission and 16th or most of Mission street's produce places. That's roughly 15c or less a banana.

Posted by: lol at October 11, 2012 11:22 AM

Wow. Sounds a bit like the sfgate comment section here. Wtf does Mirkarimi or plastic bags have to do with this? Target *is* pricey for what it is, but there's no doubt this is a useful addition to the area and will hopefully help the development formerly known as Metreon realize its potential.
If your whole life is in Noe Valley, you'll no doubt stay true to Serramonte, but save us the inexplicable smugness.

Posted by: kaya at October 11, 2012 11:08 PM