January 30, 2012

A Colorful Take On Life Inside The Hamiliton (631 O’Farrell)

While not measuring much more than 500 square feet, 631 O’Farrell #412 is one of those studios in The Hamilton that live much larger. Purchased for $210,000 in 2002, the colorfully decorated unit is now back on the market and listed for $239,000.

∙ Listing: 631 O’Farrell #412 (0/1) 520 sqft - $239,000 [vanguardsf.com]
Pay For 520, But Live Like 800 (With Bonus Points For "Trendyloin") [SocketSite]
Life At The Hamilton (631 O'Farrell): A Plugged-In Reader's Report [SocketSite]

First Published: January 30, 2012 2:00 PM

Pee Wee's Playhouse is in the Tenderloin? Who knew?

Posted by: Legacy Dude at January 30, 2012 2:46 PM

I would redecorate in a hurry but seems like a decent place for the price.

Posted by: CH at January 30, 2012 4:17 PM

This takes me back...
to kindergarten

Posted by: sf at January 30, 2012 4:20 PM

Cute little place, perfect for a first time buyer. Love that it has a sleeping alcove.

The "brightness" in the main living area all comes from the current owners furnishings.

Most likely they can't afford to have it staged, but if I were the agent, I'd ask them to tone it down (maybe they did o.O ).

The only problem really is the kitchen. The pink walls can easily be painted but the bright cabinets would have to be replaced if you didn't like them. Not easy for a first time buyer.

The seller is really limiting their market by not trying to appeal to as many people as possible.

Posted by: wc1 at January 30, 2012 4:45 PM

All the 8-year-old girls in the market for their own apartment will be flocking to this place. Unfortunately, I can't see anyone else being interested.

Posted by: A.T. at January 30, 2012 5:10 PM

Is Katy Perry in the market for a pied-a-terre?

Posted by: SFGurl at January 30, 2012 5:21 PM

The seller probably left the place in its current bright state because it is both spendy to stage and because the bright photos attract attention. I'm sure most buyers will be able to figure out how to modify it to their tastes. I like how the sofa just has a blue sheet thrown over it. That will need to be straightened every time someone sits on it.

Still I kind of like it: the current owner did a lot with a little. My only real complaint is that tiny kitchen (hard to avoid in a tiny condo though). The fridge partially blocking the window annoys me more than anything here.

Posted by: The Milkshake of Despair at January 30, 2012 5:29 PM

Somebody's been watching a whole, whole lot of David Bromstad's show. Even though I would never buy this place and keep it the way it is now, the color scheme works, on its own terms, especially the bathroom.

Best regards to the sellers.

Posted by: Brahma (incensed renter) at January 30, 2012 5:37 PM

I think My Pink Pony and Princess Bride should buy this place. Perfect for them.

Otherwise, this is REALLY ugly.

Posted by: futurist at January 30, 2012 6:30 PM

This place looks fun. Not as a home, but maybe as a room in a boutique hotel.

Considering the size, it looks pretty livable, with the alcove and all. And who would even consider putting a 6 seat dining set in such a small space. But it works.

I saw a larger 1br unit here a few years ago. It too was colorful, with purple wall to wall shag rug and murals on all the walls. I think it was two smaller units combined.

With rent prices what they are, would this place pan out as an investment property?

Posted by: joh at January 30, 2012 10:48 PM

with regards to the kitchen, it looks like an easy remodel for who knows how to paint.

The cabinets on the right look like they're freestanding, so those would be easy to replace. The cabinets on the left only consists of the sink cabinet and the drawer cabinet. And it looks like you could easily paint those too. The countertop looks like it can easily be painted as well, as there are enamels formulated specifically for that purpose these days (which is what the current owner probably did).

Posted by: joh at January 30, 2012 10:53 PM

Some people may be willing to buy a condo which appears to be the size of a walk-in closet, but I think I will pass on this great opportunity.

Posted by: Bill at January 31, 2012 6:37 AM

HOA's: $402 a month (ouch! for the rental option)

Posted by: mimi at January 31, 2012 3:04 PM