October 24, 2011

The Archbishop's Old Mansion At 1000 Fulton Street Hits The Market

1000 Fulton Street

Built for the second archbishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Francisco in 1904, the Archbishop's Mansion at 1000 Fulton Street has hit the market asking $7,950,000.

1000 Fulton Interior

Thirteen bedrooms, fourteen baths, sixteen fireplaces, and one rather sweet range hood.

1000 Fulton Kitchen

Over 20,000 square feet in total with an elevator serving the mansion's four floors.

∙ Listing: 1000 Fulton (13/14) 20,740 sqft - $7,950,000 [MLS] [1000fulton.com]

First Published: October 24, 2011 10:30 AM

It seems difficult to make this place pencil out at $8 million.

What are you allowed to do there? Does anyone know the possibilities and/or restrictions?

Also, what is the structural status? Anyone know if there have been any foundation and/or structural upgrades?

And yes, I've read the property website -- it talks about a mid-80s renovation, but unless I missed it, it doesn't say anything about structural improvements.

Also, yes, I know it can be a bed and breakfast under conditional use -- my question is, what else might be possible? Or, is that it forever...

Posted by: neighbor at October 24, 2011 11:08 AM

what the heck did the archbishop need 13 bedrooms for? it's not like he had a wife and kids!

Posted by: asiagoSF at October 24, 2011 11:11 AM

Does anyone know when the Archbishop of San Francisco moved out of 1000 Fulton? When I was a little kid around 1970 I went to some kind of fundraiser for the new Cathederal (aka "McGucken's Maytag") at the Archbishop's house and he was living at 2840 Broadway (that the Rosekrans family owned from 1979-2011).

[Editor's Note: It was a mid 1960's move for the Archbishop according to the listing agent.]

Posted by: FormerAptBroker at October 24, 2011 11:14 AM

In the early 1990s, this house was used as a convent by the Sisters of St. Joseph. My Aunt was a Nun who lived there for a few years and I remember going there for dinners and holidays. The kitchen has definitely been remodeled since my last visit. Some of the rooms have ocean views.

Posted by: NeenerSF at October 24, 2011 11:25 AM

My mistake---I am thinking of the Archbishop's House out on Balboa.

Posted by: NeenerSF at October 24, 2011 11:27 AM

I know that in 1997 this was a B&B. We had our commitment ceremony at the Alamo Square Inn up the street on Scott and several of my family members stayed at the Archbishop's Mansion. Don't know for how long it had been a B&B or when it stopped.

Posted by: BernalDweller at October 24, 2011 12:41 PM

It's good to be the archbishop

Posted by: Delancey at October 24, 2011 1:07 PM

O Mary, conceived without sin...

Posted by: fred at October 24, 2011 2:03 PM

Seems cheap for what you are getting.

Posted by: eddy at October 24, 2011 2:15 PM

No yard? No garage? 13 bedrooms and 3 parking places? And what is up with that oven hood. Is there an exhaust pipe or some sort of super duper filtration scrubber device that takes your blackened fish emissions in one end and delivers fresh flower fragrance on the other?

Posted by: 4oceans at October 24, 2011 2:23 PM

Our cats want daddy to buy this one. Definitely the way to go if you are an indoor cat.

Posted by: redseca2 at October 24, 2011 3:02 PM

@4oceans -- The standard practice was that the stove would vent into the chimney behind it. Assuming that is the location of the original stove, there would be an empty flue available that goes to the roof.

Posted by: neighbor at October 24, 2011 3:35 PM

Vow of poverty...

Posted by: EH at October 24, 2011 3:36 PM

It was a requisite silver and lace B&B until about 4 years ago (give or take) It has a HUGE basement.

Posted by: mellissa at October 24, 2011 4:09 PM

This place used to be owned by the Joie de Vivre hotel company (maybe still is? But not listed on the company website as an active hotel).

Posted by: Mike Sullivan at October 24, 2011 5:02 PM

Joie de Vivre may have/may still own it, but there was never much "joie" in the place. It was grim. In fairness, they've updated the kitchen.

Probably the most expensive SFR w/o a garage in SF, although with the right advice, one could probably put a garage under the house on the Steiner Street side and turn the current parking lot into a garden.

Posted by: Rocco at October 24, 2011 5:44 PM

I never knew you could carpet a pool table and a stair case with the same material.

Posted by: Stucco-sux at October 24, 2011 7:05 PM

Probably the most expensive SFR w/o a garage in SF...

Not quite.

[Editor's Note: 2808 Broadway Becomes Official Gold Coast Inventory At $25M.]

Posted by: justme at October 25, 2011 12:50 AM

The grand stair and stained glass dome make me think of Titanic and the Gilded Age.... want to whisper "Jack, this is where we first met" just as the whole economy sinks beneath us.

Posted by: anon at October 25, 2011 8:24 AM

I lived at this location during my corporate paid relocation to SF in 2000. It was a remarkable introduction to SF! I switched rooms frequently so I got to experience each one during my month long stay. I remember they were each themed after an opera.

Posted by: GOLSF at October 25, 2011 5:11 PM

Is the money going back to the poor people that paid for it?

Posted by: August at November 2, 2011 12:23 PM

Haunted.

Posted by: Fergus at November 13, 2011 3:11 AM

This became the San Francisco Boy's Home after the Archbishop moved. It was administered by Monsignor Peter Armstrong. I don't know when it ceased to be the Boy's Home, probably the mid '70's

Posted by: tom espy at January 5, 2013 2:13 PM