October 19, 2009

One Hawthorne: Close To Being Closed In But Without Its Crown?

One Hawthorne: 10/19/09 (www.SocketSite.com)

Topped out in June, the 24-story and 165-unit One Hawthorne is close to be closed in. And as a plugged-in reader notes, the building would likely be one of the biggest indirect beneficiaries of a relocated Fire Station Number One.

Unfortunately we don’t have an update on the development with regard to timing ("2010") or pricing. Tipsters? And once again, as initially rendered (albeit in a bit better light):

One Hawthorne: Rendering

And no word on what happened to its little crown (tiara?).

UPDATE: As a plugged-in reader points out, apparently the rendering changed while we weren't looking. And that original crown/tiara is indeed gone:

One Hawthorne Revised Rendering (Image Source: EHDD Architecture

One Hawthorne: It Goes No Higher [SocketSite]
SFMOMA Snags The Fisher Contemporary Art Collection [SocketSite]
One Hawthorne: The Design (And Some Details) Of What’s On The Way [SocketSite]

First Published: October 19, 2009 3:00 PM

The rendering also made it appear that each floor would be a little wider than the one beneath it. So far though I have to say that the reality looks better than the rendering to me.

Posted by: location at October 19, 2009 3:10 PM

location: I was going to say the exact opposite, but I always liked bell-bottoms...

Maybe you are being fooled by the cool firetruck in the real photo :)

Posted by: dub dub at October 19, 2009 3:14 PM

I agree with dub dub ... the rendering looked more interesting. It was not only the slope, but also the width of the balconies on the right side of the building ... they seem to encompass only one window, but a double one.

Posted by: Oceangoer at October 19, 2009 3:22 PM

It is an old rendering. There is a newer rendering on the EHDD website under "portfolio-on the boards".

[Editor's Note: Cheers (and updated). Now about timing and pricing...]

Posted by: spitpalm at October 19, 2009 3:52 PM

IMO these mostly glass taller structures invariably look better in the rendering than in what actually is built.

Posted by: Gil at October 19, 2009 4:08 PM

I think it looks decent. Wonder if there is an owner discount for the Gold Club?

Posted by: anon at October 19, 2009 4:14 PM

I work next door to the building ... it's pretty striking in person IMO ... and light years better than the buildings that had been there. I'll be interested to see the floor plans, finishes and initial pricing. Great location, central to everything.

Posted by: SF Monty Rez at October 19, 2009 4:27 PM

Looks much better than the rendering IMO, you need to see it in person. The rendering had a vaguely dated feel to it that I can't quite describe.

Posted by: dr. who at October 19, 2009 4:35 PM

I thought in SF buildings of a certain height were required to have some "crown" or architectural detailing to avoid the flat topped box look. Now it looks like they just have a mechanical screen - not nearly as sexy.

Posted by: OneEyedMan at October 19, 2009 4:39 PM

Geez, are people still building in SoMa? 165 more units?!

Hi, I'm the water delivery guy. I realize your house is flooded, ma'am but where should I dump more water?

Posted by: tipster at October 19, 2009 6:08 PM

lol@this being a great location.
sure it's geographically central, but it's deader than dead on the weekends.

Posted by: lolcat_94123 at October 19, 2009 6:45 PM

Really? deader than dead? I was down on second street a year or so ago on a friday night, and it seemed like a lot was going on between restaurants and gallery/clubs...surprised me actually. Also, Yerba Buena is just around the corner, and I wouldn't exactly call that area dead.

Posted by: curmudgeon at October 19, 2009 6:56 PM

My wife and I (and our 4 yr old) live at 74 New Montgomery, a block and a half away from this bldg, and love this area, especially on weekends. I've lived in many neighborhoods in the City and wouldn't trade my current location for any other one. Central to lots of great things and I would describe it as "calm," not dead.

Posted by: SF Monty Rez at October 19, 2009 7:53 PM

I just went to Anchor & Hope Saturday night for dinner with some friends and we walked over to the W to get a taxi. I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of people out and about - certainly not what I would consider "dead" at all.

Posted by: Fishchum at October 19, 2009 8:02 PM

This is yet another illustration of the fact that a rendering is not a contract. I am wondering if a developer could get away with rendering a Beaux-Arts building and building a contemporary one...

Posted by: flaneur at October 19, 2009 9:23 PM

Looks like it does get a crown. From the updated rendering, it will be some type of detail on the roof to hide quite possibly the HVAC.

Not quite the tiara, but you go with what you got...

Posted by: Can't think of cool name at October 19, 2009 10:10 PM

Rendering much more interesting than the end product!

Posted by: bate and switch at October 20, 2009 9:58 AM

As I've mentioned on SS before, these renderings always look a lot better than the actual finished product. A lot of these buildings remind me of the towers in Vancouver. I'm sure the Vancouver renderings looked cool too, but the finished glass towers aren't particularly attractive. Same issue here.

Posted by: JimBobJones at October 20, 2009 12:43 PM

Parking is rumored to be valet at this building.

Posted by: sfyoda at October 20, 2009 11:19 PM

This neighborhood is great for renting. I am still unsure how these neighborhoods are for long term happiness. There are a lot of things to do...museums...movies..shopping...restaurants. But there is a lack of depth and zero sense of community.

Posted by: yo at October 29, 2009 2:41 AM

Anyone have details on the hardhat/agent tour next week?

Posted by: M at January 22, 2010 1:43 PM

Parking is valet ($300/month) and is not included in the HOAs ~$550. The units are larger than typical, but the lack of parking makes these units expensive.

Posted by: SFRE at January 22, 2010 2:09 PM