November 26, 2008

Behind The Facade And Renovation Of 224 Mississippi (But NFS)

224 Mississippi

Not for sale, but a chance to peek behind the facade and renovation of 224 Mississippi.

224 Mississippi: Kitchen

Batles' Potrero Hill home echoes the past [SFGate] [Photos]

First Published: November 26, 2008 8:30 AM

I love the mix of the old cabinets with IKEA in the kitchen.

"...they began to look for a true live-work space - not just a developer's make-believe live-work loft that's too small for a substantial studio, much less a family."

Amen!

Posted by: Anna at November 26, 2008 8:51 AM

It's nice and definitely shows why hiring a professional that shares your vision is critical. But I can't help but to think that this place is going to seem incredibly small and inadequate when those kids get a little bit older in a few years. I guess there is space to grow...

Posted by: eddy at November 26, 2008 8:57 AM

I agree with Anna. I love love love the old cabinets in the modern setting.

Eddy, even 900 square feet is plenty of room with just the two boys, since they can double up in one bedroom. We do it with three! Especially since as they use some of the other space in the building for their activities and projects, and just eat and sleep upstairs.

Posted by: kthnxybe at November 26, 2008 9:21 AM

..hey, if they decide to move when the boys get bigger, I'd buy in a heartbeat...I love this.

Posted by: CameronRex at November 26, 2008 9:25 AM

Esthetically intriguing drawer contraption. One snag with the cabinets: you'll need a ladder to reach out for whatever precious little goodies you put in those tiny top drawers.

Posted by: San FronziScheme at November 26, 2008 10:44 AM

"you'll need a ladder to reach out for whatever precious little goodies you put in those tiny top drawers"

Built-in cardio for those craving chocolate-chip cookies.

Posted by: BobN at November 26, 2008 1:47 PM

Interestingly (to me), I happened to walk by this place a couple of month ago and it piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing what's inside!

Regarding space, we all have to get used to living in a more densely packed city. Unless you are quite wealthy, I won't expect much space.

Posted by: John at November 26, 2008 5:47 PM

I love those bathroom sinks. Anyone know how I can get my grubby hands on sinks designed like that?

Posted by: will at November 26, 2008 10:15 PM

well if you've got grubby hands just pour it yourself. I think that Buddy Rhodes sells a mold and they the mixin's. If they don't try concretedepot.com

Posted by: sparky at November 27, 2008 2:01 PM