September 12, 2007

Coming Soon: Another One Of A Kind Property In San Francisco

67 Belcher

It’s another one of a kind property in San Francisco that the minority will be able to afford, but the majority might enjoy perusing (for one reason or another). And yes, it officially hits the market later this week. The full SocketSite scoop and overview on 67-69 Belcher this Friday (after we’ve had a chance to take a peek).

First Published: September 12, 2007 3:00 AM

Such a tease... can't wait to see this place

Posted by: bird_man at September 12, 2007 9:11 AM

Looks nice inside, but I don't know if I'd want to live somewhere that reminds me of a gymnasium.

Posted by: SFhighrise at September 12, 2007 10:19 AM

Looks interesting - I am curious and its def goign to be out of $ for me, but I cant do Belcher. Maybe if I could rally the neighbors to change it to Bel Cher. Otherwise - What a gas.

Posted by: cd at September 12, 2007 11:16 AM

I'm almost sure this will be my dream place, lots of open space, interesting building conversion, industrial details, great neighborhood (I live currently around the corner on 14th Street). I'm also equally sure it will be way out of my (and most mortals) price range. What are the guesses - 3 million? more?

Posted by: Neil Straghalis at September 12, 2007 2:22 PM

Looks like an aircraft hangar. I like it.

Posted by: anon at September 12, 2007 3:35 PM

Neil, was that your guess for the monthly PG&E bill?

Posted by: tipster at September 12, 2007 3:36 PM

While the building is pretty, it makes me sad that this appears to be another instance of artists getting priced out of San Francisco:

[Editor's Note: Don't jump to too many conclusions.]

Posted by: Pete at September 12, 2007 4:16 PM

3 mil is my guess for the monthly HOA fees.

Posted by: pica1986 at September 12, 2007 4:59 PM

The property is listed for 6.9 million. No kidding.

Posted by: anonymous at September 12, 2007 5:42 PM

I could have an indoor archery range!

Posted by: John at September 12, 2007 7:09 PM

They should not sell this place. They should donate it to me. It clearly needs me.

Posted by: kathleen at September 12, 2007 9:02 PM

oh wow, i've actually been to a party here once, packed with people. it was as fantastic as it looks in this one picture. if i remember correctly, there's a huge master bedroom, an open bath area, a library, and a private s&m room tucked away in the back. also, a gangway that leads outdoors to an upper wrap-around terrace with stairs down to an open patio, with a separate zen mediation room/office/guest room? in the back corner. but 6.9 million? i can think of other places i'd rather have for that amount!

Posted by: anonymous at September 13, 2007 12:41 AM

there is no view whatsoever, the entire building is enclosed in its own high wall. there's a courtyard i guess you could call it, walls have got to be at least 14 feet high? when i say no view, i mean no external windows.

at least that's what it appears - i've only seen it from the outside.

Posted by: ryan at September 13, 2007 1:19 AM

[Place] looks very nice, wonder what part of town we'll see this in.

Posted by: Serge at September 13, 2007 8:30 AM

67 Belcher is the residence that is shown in the photo - really incredible space. 69 Belcher is the other half of the warehouse building, which is broken up into artists studios. I don't know how it works, but I believe that the owner of the building rents the spaces out. It has gone through a sale before and the artist's side remained artist's studios, so we shouldn't get negative about that yet.

That being said, in about '97-'98, three of my friends and I went to an open house for this building. The three of them were buying a house together. We had a great time dreaming about living in the loft side (which had a marble clad bathroom where you and your closest 30 friends could shower). They could not afford the place :(

I just conferred with one on our memory of the 1990s price and we agreed. It was $1.5 million.

The difference that 10 years makes = $5.4 million

Posted by: rg at September 13, 2007 2:35 PM

I will be pleased - but extremely surprised - if someone drops almost $7 million on this place and decides they want to continue renting out half of the complex for rents that artists can afford.

Posted by: Pete at September 14, 2007 3:29 PM