July 25, 2006

21 Buena Vista Avenue By The Numbers

21 Buena Vista Avenue

21 Buena Vista Avenue by the numbers: 4 floors; 22 rooms; 64 sqft theater screen; 270 degree views; 1700 sqft of gallery space; 3000 bottle wine room; 8229 sqft total; 4950000 dollars. One absolutely amazing home.

∙ Listing: 21 Buena Vista Avenue (6/6) - $4,950,000 [21buenavista.com]

First Published: July 25, 2006 10:08 AM

All I have to say is 'WOW, WOW, WOW'! This is the coolest house i have seen in SF!

Posted by: BulllMarket at July 25, 2006 3:49 PM

No kidding: “massage room and custom cedar sauna…top floor observatory and outdoor terraces on all levels…Master Bath featuring steam shower, separate rain shower and corner tub with bay and city views…and a 3000 bottle wine cellar with tasting room.”

Never thought I’d consider $4.95M to be a bargain...

Posted by: Anonymous at July 25, 2006 5:35 PM

I'd consider moving out of my 2b/2b, 1,500 sqft condo in prime Marina district to go out there. That house is incredible.

Posted by: ladida at July 25, 2006 10:09 PM

I went to the champagne tasting a few Friday's ago at this house--it's true, it's an exceptional house. I agree with the anonymous comment--$4.95m doesn't seem like a high number for this much house--it's huge, historic, unique and oh so San Francisco

Posted by: Garrett at July 26, 2006 11:12 AM

Now, THIS is what I call getting a bang for your buck ... well, $4.5 MM bucks, but ... it'd be worth it.

Posted by: Sexy & Sassy in SF at July 26, 2006 12:38 PM

Since when is Marina "prime"?

Posted by: BearMarket at July 26, 2006 1:03 PM

I have lived nearby since 1979. Until a few years ago, this building was covered in stucco and a lime green color. It was the ultimate rooming house/roomate situation and we called it the "Witches Hat"

Posted by: Redseca at July 27, 2006 11:34 AM

500K haircut in 6 months. Things aren't looking good.

Posted by: Beck at January 29, 2007 9:05 PM

loved it! i'd like to meet the designer and contractor for this house for another project i'm working on!

Posted by: helena at September 29, 2007 6:17 PM

This place is an odd collection of rooms - I am imagining the architect wondering "what do I do with THIS room" a few times - the location is great, but I think the remodel was superficial. I notice, for instance, that the water and sewer pipes are attractively arranged across all four floors of the northern facade for the neighbors enjoyment. For this price, they might at least have opened the walls and sprung for modern plumbing, no?

Posted by: Tom McIntyre at December 4, 2008 11:29 AM